We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of camp stove fuel?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
15 helpful votes
Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Planning a trip to YNP in a few weeks. Camping in Upper Pines for 4 nights. I hear that camping stove fuel is hard to come by (tall green Coleman propane). Any suggestions for what to use instead and where it can be obtained? Also, do Yosemite firepits at the campsites have a grill attachment I can cook on? Thanks in advance!

8 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12,778 posts
1. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Last year I had some difficulty finding propane canisters, I haven’t had a problem this year.

You can check availability online at Walmart/Target of the town you’ll be at prior to Yosemite.

There are grills on the campfire pits. Of course I’m not sure about every campfire pit…

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,767 posts
76 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

I just checked REI ( where I bought our Coleman fuel last year) and they have none. They said “low inventory” but then is was none.

I don’t know how to check the Yosemite store, and that could change. I sugged you consider buying online for store pickup at the Target or Walmart in the nearest town on your Yosemite route—Fresno, Merced, or other—if you want to be sure.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

“I hear that camping stove fuel is hard to come by (tall green Coleman propane).”

I am not aware of a shortage of the ubiquitous 1 lb. Propane canisters, although there is chatter about a transition from throw away to refillable canisters.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Piggybacking off of the original question, what about iso-butane/propane fuel mix availability? (aka Jetboil/MSR/other brand canisters.)

According to the REI website, when I try to pre-order a fuel cannister to be delivered to the Fresno REI, none of the brands are allowed to be delivered to that store.

Jetboil says the cannisters are carried at the Yosemite Village Sport Shop, do they usually have a decent stock and has anyone noticed them there recently?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts on this! I called the REI in Sacramento and they reported that it's "impossible" to obtain the Coleman propane but that "usually have a few" of the isobutane/propane available. Interestingly, I checked Walmart and the Coleman propanes are available there for pick-up. So I'm not sure what to make of it! I think I may bring both stove types with (since we're not backpacking) and then we'll be ready for either situation.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
94,757 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
6. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Be sure that your type of stove is legal for air travel, assuming that you are flying.

Sportmans Warehouse in Fresno is a good place for fuel.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Hi all -- just arrived home from my trip and found that we had no problem getting the green Coleman propane canisters at Target and Walmart. There were even some for sale in some national park shops. There were spots to recycle them in Yosemite and in Pinnacles, FYI -- but other national parks asked guests to pack them out for recycling outside the park.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,767 posts
76 reviews
79 helpful votes
8. Re: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Save

Good to know. Thank you for reporting back.

Reply to: Availability of camp stove fuel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.