We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heat wave and yosemite

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
heat wave and yosemite
Save

Looks like there is a heat wave coming up in this week and next. Wonder what's the best way to enjoy the valley and other areas in the middle of heat wave? Any particular part of the park are cooler and more enjoyable than the others? I know the lodge inside the park doesn't have AC. How to get through the nights in the lodge rooms when it's over 90?

21 replies to this topic
Taylor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
248 posts
52 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

I just returned fromYNP. Temps dropped to low 50s at night, even though it was hot during the day. We had a 2nd floor room in Alder Bldg in YVL. Nights were comfortable. Most rooms have 2 fans, i think. We used the ceiling fan only & didnt use the stand-up fan at all.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
2. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

Hi

It does cool off at night in the mountains at night. Upper 50s is pleasant (Valley forecast)

During the day, enjoy Tioga Road tourism where it is higher elevation and thus cooler. Yosemite Valley forecast for Saturday night 96 while Tuolumne Meadows is 74.

Swim in a river or lake..... Merced River in the Valley, South Fork of the Merced in Wawona, Tenaya Lake along Tioga Road

Nap in the shade of a tree.

What is your draft itinerary for your visit?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
3. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

Upper Yosemite (along the Tioga road) will be cooler.

One of my absolute favorite spots is the Twin Bridges swimming spots in Tuolumne Meadows. Highly recommend

California
Level Contributor
408 posts
4. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

When are you going? Did you change your plans? I thought you mentioned back in late April you were going to Yosemite in two weeks (which would have been sometime in May).

In any case, if you are going this week or next, the weather report I'm looking at for the next week shows some thunderstorms and temps in the low 70's and then getting a little warmer and sunnier the following week with high around 80. Although I have learned that weather reports can vary quite a bit! Good to be prepared for different kinds of weather.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
119,804 posts
8,654 reviews
4,154 helpful votes
5. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

be sure to also stay hydrated and limit the alcohol.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

yes, i changed my plan from April and rebooked to end of June (next week). Now with this weather, I am wondering if i should change again -- traveling with 2 mid-70 year seniors doesnt make things easier. I don't yet have a draft itinerary yet, kinda still working on it based on weather condition.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
7. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

Here is the Yosemite forecast map. Click an area for a forecast specific to that place.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weathermap.htm

California
Level Contributor
408 posts
8. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

Oh, yes I see the heat predicted for the Valley area on the weather.gov site is much hotter than the other site I was looking at! I continue to be amazed with these huge discrepancies between weather info. sites.

I hope you can find a way to adjust your itinerary to make it a bit more comfortable for you and your traveling companions. At least the water won't be too cold to wade in. I was in the Valley last month and we had highs of 86 degrees. The heat did slow us down quite a bit. It did cool in the evenings some, but even then, no sweaters needed. We had a lovely large hard sided cabin in Curry Village with many windows, which thankfully provided a great cross breeze aided by the fan provided. Lots of water, fruit and Haagen-Dazs ice cream bars from the General Store helped too!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
9. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

Different weather sites use different base sources to report then predict the weather in the Park.

For example, if you search for Yosemite at wunderground.com, the current weather conditions are from the airport in Mammoth. Very different weather conditions on the east side of the Sierra vs the west side and Yosemite Valley. Look at the smaller font underneath the words "Yosemite National Park, CA Weather Conditions".

http://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/yosemite-national-park

I recommend using the National Weather Service info for Yosemite and Sequoia.

Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: heat wave and yosemite
Save

It was in the 80s when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

It really does cool off at night. If you open the windows and turn on the fans in the evening the room will cool off nicely. We slept with the windows open a little bit. There were good screens and it was quiet in our building in the lodge (Maple).

There’s lots of shade. Take advantage of it in the 2-5pm timeframe. Plan an afternoon picnic near some water and under some trees, or head back to your room to relax on the patio and read a book for a while.

Wake up early and do some sightseeing before it warms up.

Get ice cream. All the grocery stores and gift shops seemed to have popsicles and ice cream bars at a reasonable price, and I think there was someplace to get ice cream in curry village as well.

Eat an early dinner and then explore some more as the temperatures drop in the early evening but before sunset. We really enjoyed this. We saw more wildlife in the early evening as well. H

We live in the desert. The standard tips are important. Drink a ton of water (ie stay hydrated, avoid excess caffeine and alcohol), wear a hat, use sunscreen. Wear appropriate clothing, and take advantage of the shade from all those pretty trees.

Reply to: heat wave and yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.