We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe

Kentucky
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

My husband and I are planning our first visit to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe for late June of 2023. We are aiming to fly into Fresno-stay 4 nights in Yosemite Valley then 4 nights in Lake Tahoe and flying home from Reno.

We have 1 more night we can add to our trip.

I would like to know if it would be possible to spend our first night in maybe Oakhurst?, get up early the next morning and visit Sequoia & Kings Canyon, then drive into Yosemite that night?

OR if that would be too much and we would be better off adding that extra night in Yosemite or Lake Tahoe?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
1. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

HI

This is the Yosemite forum, so the topics and the focus are just Yosemite. Oakhurst is not close to Sequoia / Kings Canyon. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/NPS_sequoia-kings-canyon-regional-map.gif

Your 'extra' night could be well spent outside the Tioga Pass Entrance after enjoying a full day along Tioga Road ... Olmsted Point, Tenaya Lake, Tuolumne Meadows. Maybe that's tiny Lee Vining or a town north or south of the junction of Hwy 120 & Hwy 395.

Good luck getting the lodging reservations of your choice in Yosemite Valley. Book the day they become available.

Lapeer, Michigan
Level Contributor
428 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

I agree that this is way too much driving for a day trip - you would practically spend the entire day in the car. There are more than enough things to see & do which would be either on the way or only slightly out of the way between Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Since you're planning to fly into Fresno, I might look at something like SEKI for 2 nights, Yosemite for 3 or 4 nights & Lake Tahoe for 2 or 3 nights. If you can add an additional day, all the better.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
3. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park are not neighbors to Yosemite, and lots of visitors underestimate the distance and time.

I'm for giving up on them in favor of adding time to existing time in Yosemite....maybe not possible at this late date....or Lake Tahoe.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

Thank you all for the responses.

Reservations for our timeframe open this week. I will just tack a day onto Yosemite!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
5. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

Note that Tuolumne Meadows is about 1 1/2 hours from Yosemite Valley. If you want to enjoy hiking in the high country, spending an entire day on your exit driving day means that you won't have time to get to Tahoe.

Canton, Mississippi
Level Contributor
28 posts
64 reviews
35 helpful votes
6. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

How far of a drive is it!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
7. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

Google Maps is fairly accurate for distance and wheels-turning time. You need to use exact locations.

And then add time for traffic, road work (could be up to 30 minute delay on Tioga Road), refueling the car, stopping for views, eating, etc.

Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Save

Re: driving Tioga road—

We left YVL a little before 8am.

Reached Olmstead point about 9:15am

Tenaya Lake a little before 11

Tuolumne meadows (and the road construction) about noon

Stopped for lunch by some pretty creek in Tioga pass at about 12:40

Started Gaylor Lake hike (trailhead is right by the east entrance station) at 1:30

Exited the park at 3:50

We were eating at the Whoa Nellie Deli by 4:30

Google maps says it’s another 2hrs 15 min to Lake Tahoe with no stops.

Those times are based on time stamps from my photos. We stopped whenever we wanted and were not in a hurry. You could easily spend more or less time on this drive (less would be a shame!) as there are many great hikes and so much beautiful scenery in that area.

Reply to: Kings Canyon/Sequoia/Yosemite/Lake Tahoe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.