We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Hotels

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Yosemite Hotels
Save

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Yosemite mid Oct and wanted to see what is suggested for hotels. I saw a similar post but wanted views on the hotels below. (3 nights, solo traveller). Ideally, I want to keep costs low but wanted to see if any one had any advice. I understand that places like Mariposa are quite far from the actual park so I would have to leave early to get the to the park.

Midpines - Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort - £480

Mariposa - Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station - £460

El Portal - Yosemite View Lodge - £760

Yosemite West - "Foxes Lair" - $810

Wawona - Honey Bear Cabin - $825

Also will the be parking at the park and do I need to book a car park slot for this?

Many Thanks.

Edited: 30 June 2022, 17:28
22 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
1. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Hi

There are many places to park, depending on the activity you've chosen. Big visitor parking lots, smaller picnic area lots, some trailhead parking, and so on. No parking reservations needed anywhere.

You're the only one who knows if commuting from outside (30 minutes? an hour?) makes sense. If you want to meet other travelers, the Bug might be a good choice. No interest in the Curry Village tent cabins?

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

ok thanks for the info and advice

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
196 reviews
270 helpful votes
3. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

The Bug is a good choice being that it is closer to Yosemite Valley, has private cabins (if you don’t want to share bathrooms or room s and stay in the hostel) and a good restaurant for dinner. It’s not the closest as the hotels in El Portal are much closer (but more expensive). The hotels are also right by the road while the Bug is a little bit off the road. All hotels outside Yosemite will require a day reservation not for parking but just for entering Yosemite so the advantage of those in Yosemite West is that they are inside the park boundaries so don’t need a reservation.

Note that Yosemite West lodging still requires a little bit of driving into The Valley (about 30 minutes - same as from El Portal). Yosemite West is very close to Glacier Point but the road up to the Glacier Point is closed this year.

Wawona is even further away from The Valley.

For a solo traveler that is worried about cost, check out the Yosemite Bug and the cancellation policy. Then check back for lodging in Curry Village within The Valley itself for cancellations and switch booking to avoid driving. Curry Village would give you lodging within The Valley so you don’t have to drive each day.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
4. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Curry Village has inexpensive tent cabins, hard sided cabins, cabins with bath and Stoneman rooms that are less $$$ than Yosemite Valley Lodge. Wawona Hotel is less expensive too, but outside of Yosemite Valley.

http://TravelYosemite.com

I would consider spending a night in Lee Vining or June/Mammoth lakes for good access to Yosemite’s Tioga Rd and Eastern Sierra.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

So curry village doesn't have power plugs etc which so I think that is out the question. I am currently looking at the bug or perhaps at mariposa.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
6. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Heated Curry Village tents have outlets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Thanks. I ended up book at mariposa as the costs were quite different.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
8. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Yes, real estate is all about location, location, location.

Mariposa is about 1 1/4 hours to drive to a Valley parking lot

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Yep thanks for the heads up. After changing my dates to end Aug and start of Sept prices where Mariposa was about £500 for 3 nights and El Portalwas £900

Edited: 04 July 2022, 03:40
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
10. Re: Yosemite Hotels
Save

Three nights in an unheated Curry Village tent cabin: $541.53 (We don't spend £ here.)

Yosemite View Lodge, outside Yosemite NP and "in" tiny El Portal is $845.93 for the same 3 nights.

Reply to: Yosemite Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.