We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Save

We currently have reservations for Curry Village for 3 nights starting Sun 8/7. We have a family commitment the evening of 8/7 in the Visalia area - prob not done in Visaila until 10PM ish. We have Mon, Tues, and most of Wed to enjoy Yosemite; need to be back in Fresno by dinner time on Wednesday evening.

Is it a problem to arrive at Curry Village for a tent cabin reservation at 1AM? Would we be better off staying outside of the park Sun night and getting up early to head into the park on Monday morning?

Generally we are night people vs early morning people, and we will have been in California for 4-5 days by this time, so hopefully adjusted to the time change.

5 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
196 reviews
270 helpful votes
1. Re: Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Save

It will be dark plus Curry Village has no walls. So it may be easier to spend the night in a more comfortable hotel say in Oakhurst or Mariposa and just drive into the park in the morning. It also helps you avoid dark winding mountain roads in the dark which is a safety issue.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
23,527 posts
137 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Save

I think that technically you can check in that late, but I wouldn't do it. In your situation, I would stay outside the park and drive in the next morning. The drive to Yosemite is on mountain roads - 2 lane, lots of curves, nocturnal animals out and about - not a drive you want to make when tired. Once you reach Curry Village, you'll need to find your cabin - in the dark, being as quiet as possible since people in the other tents will be sleeping. Chances are you won't be able to park close to your cabin - parking is in a big parking lot adjacent to where the cabins are. You'll need to carry all of your things in from the car and stow any smellables in the bear locker. This is a lot more involved than pulling up to a motel in the middle of the night and going inside.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
3. Re: Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Save

Hi

I would stay somewhere on Hwy 41 and begin Monday tourism with Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoia tourism, just inside the South Entrance.

n_m has a good description of getting into a tent cabin. It would be practically impossible to be quiet.

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Save

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks all!

Aptos, California
Destination Expert
for California, Kauai, Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
80 reviews
71 helpful votes
5. Re: Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Save

If you want to get into your tent cabin Tuesday morning vs normal check in time, I’d call and let them know your plans. If you just don’t show up idk what Curry Village’s policy is on that.

If you don’t want to spend the extra $ for Monday night then you’ll need to plan on being without lodging until check in.

If it was me I’d pay for Monday in order to have the tent available for unloading your luggage and any flights for the bear locker.

209 372-8333 or 372-8333, the front desk number I have. Idk if it’s change.

Reply to: Late Arrival to the valley/Curry Village?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.