We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice welcome for two possibilities for stay near Yosemite!

Level Contributor
23 posts
Advice welcome for two possibilities for stay near Yosemite!
Save

Hi all,

We're having a last minute trip to the State at the end of July, driving through California to Utah.

I really want to go into Yosemite - not to hike but just to see it and say I've been.

I know it's unlikely I'll get the day pass, so going in after 4pm is fine for us.

However: there are two options and I need your help/advice to decide!

After a night's stay in SF on 30th July, on the 31st we will drive to Yosemite. On the 2nd August we are staying ina ranch in Caliente, CA.

We either:

1. Stay in the Evergreen lodge from 31-2. Booked and free cancellation. We would then drive down to Calientem, though not using scenic route 395 as it would add too much time on. We would plan to go horse riding in Yosemite (organised through a local company) but realise we may not have much else to do in the area (though recommendations welcome).

2. We stay the night of 31st in Mariposa (would really like to see that town) and then stay the night of the 1st in, say Mammoth Lakes which would enable us to drive to Caliente on Route 395 and not have as long a journey on the 2nd AUgust.

It seems a toss up to me between 2 nights in one place, though perhaps seeing less scenery, verse 1 night in two places and having a more scenic route.

Would welcome any thoughts - especially as, if we can't get the day passes for Yosemite, are we going to be twiddling thumbs more if we stay at Evergreen Lodge.

With thanks,

James

3 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
95,288 posts
216 reviews
175 helpful votes
1. Re: Advice welcome for two possibilities for stay near Yosemite!
Save

Neither choice.

You can easily take the fee YARTS bus to Yosemite Valley. You could add the Valley Floor Tour. No driving or Peak Hours Entry Permit needed.

But permits will be available 7 days in advance at 8 am. A permit is valid for 3 days, so you could get a permit that starts on a Monday and just enter Tuesday, or get a permit that starts on a Wednesday and go in Friday. Options.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
2. Re: Advice welcome for two possibilities for stay near Yosemite!
Save

You could do a horseback ride at the Wawona Stables (I would stay 2 nights in Oakhurst/Fish Camp- closer to Caliente too.) That would get you a day use pass for Yosemite since it is with the official concessionaire-

https://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/horseback-mule-riding/

If you do option 2, which is also great, I would still get a day use pass. Spend the morning in Yosemite Valley and afternoon along Tioga Rd. (Maybe Mariposa grove on you arrival day, after 4pm)

Edited: 06 July 2022, 23:20
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
191 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: Advice welcome for two possibilities for stay near Yosemite!
Save

I agree with Pacific NW- you can take that approach and have a better visit in Yos.

Reply to: Advice welcome for two possibilities for stay near Yosemite!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.