We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
24 helpful votes
Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

Can anyone please offer suggestions on how we can break up the long journey between Yosemite National Park and San Fransisco. Does anyone have any ideas for places of interest, etc., to help the long drive along. We're going in September. Thanks in anticipation.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
26,420 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

Your only real options are less than an hour outside the park (gold country). After that it's an additional 3 hours of driving through the San Joaquin Valley, which is mostly agricultural and ranch land.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
8 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

Is it only us Californians that don't see 4 hours as a long drive? ;)

If you leave Yosemite at 8 am you'll be in SF for lunch and have the whole afternoon for sightseeing. Unless you are willing to detour off the direct path for other sights and thus increasing your overall drive, you might simply want to take the direct route.

Another thought is how about a little detour to the wineries in the Livermore area?

http://www.lvwine.org/

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,507 posts
196 reviews
166 helpful votes
3. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

Four hours sounds like an easy drive, but I'm a native Californian.

MrsMush ~ what kind of things do you enjoy? Do you have kids with you, or is the group just adults? Taking a walk through a big US grocery store is fun for some foreign visitors. How about a visit to the Hershey Chocolate Visitor Center (tours no longer offered) in Oakdale? Your four hour drive will become much longer if you add in a few stops/detours.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
26,420 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

I guess 4 hours isn't long to us because our state is so big that we're used to just driving Point A to Point B in one shot.

I do like taking a good amount time to drive up the Big Sur coast, though!

But Yosemite to SF ain't no Big Sur! ..... At least once you're out of the pines.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

I drove from SF to Yosemite a few weeks ago, and I too was concerned about the "long" drives of 4-5 hours, especially as I had no-one to share the driving with.

However, I found the driving much easier than equivalent distances in the UK - maybe it was having a big new car with cruise control, maybe it was the wide open roads, maybe it was that even the simplest things are interesting and novel compared to another drive up the M6!!

I decided not to take the "usual" route from SF, but instead we went via Modesto and Coulterville.

In Modesto we stopped at the A&W Root Beer Drive-in - not really worth a detour but fun if you're passing by. It is a small fast-food chain where you can park up and get the waitresses to bring you your burger on rollerskates. Inside they had a jukebox playing doo-wop and old 1950's cars in the parking lot.

I loved the drive onwards from Modesto - mile after mile of empty roads curving through the golden plains.

Coulterville is a tiny and really cute Gold Rush era town - we were going to stop at the Hotel Jeffery for a drink in the Magnolia Saloon, but we were pushed for time. However, this is a charming place. From here it is upwards and onwards and lovely driving up into the forests.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
84 reviews
339 helpful votes
6. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco
Save

A hidden gem, which will be about 2 hours outside the valley on Highway 120, a few minutes east of Oakdale, is Knights Ferry, a tiny town along the Stanislaus River. It has a riverside park with a true historic covered bridge. Get a soda and sandwiches in Oakdale and then make a picnic of it as you stretch your legs.

Lynn

7. Re: Things to do between Yosemite NP & San Francisco

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 04:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.