We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas

Manchester, United...
1 post
Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

I am looking for some advise.

We have a Round California trip booked for 3 weeks from 24th March and on leaving San Francisco on the 27th March we are looking to Drive to Las Vegas and have 4 Full days (three nights) booked in to do this.

We are aware that there are parts of Yosemite that are likely to be closed at this time of year but would be grateful if anyone could suggest places on the route for our three overnight stops. Also suggestions of places that are a "must See" along the route.

Also if anyone knows any good hotels/motels/guesthouses to stay in that would be great too!

Thanks in advance for any help or advise that you can give!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,218 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
1. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

Hi CanCarroll, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

I'm happy to give advice for one portion of your trip, then I suggest checking the Death Valley forum for the final night. DVNP: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143021-i2027

Day 1: leave SF and drive 4 hrs to Yosemite. Stay in the Valley.

Day 2: more time in Yosemite Valley, leave around 3 or 4 and head south. Stay Bakersfield perhaps.

Day 3: continue driving to Death Valley, entering at Panamint. Stay Death Valley.

Day 4: in the late afternoon, continue the drive to Las Vegas

--------------

Lodging:

Yosemite NP - read the Top Questions in the upper right. Finding availability at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls in the Valley would be great. If not, maybe El Portal. You MUST get reservations soon!

en route - there will be available motels on Hwy 99. Maybe you don't get all the way to Bakersfield. Or maybe you want to set this as your goal, or perhaps Visalia. I don't have any specific places to suggest (this is the Yosemite forum and is all about Yosemite.)

Death Valley - there are only a few places, but ask on their forum. Definitely stay in the Park if possible ... the night sky is wonderful!

-----------

What to do in Yosemite:

Please read our Trip Reports (winter & spring) and Itineraries. It's extremely unlikely that Tioga Road & Glacier Point Road will be open in March as they usually open in late May or June. But you can walk down to a grove of Giant Sequoias, hike up a trail, wander on a path, rent a bike, take stunning photographs, attend ranger presentations, gaze at the beauty ....

Yosemite Guide newspaper (read last March's issue for ideas about this March) nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm

Rotherham
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

Hi, can any one help

We are traveling to Yosemite on the 5th of March and stopping 2 nights (we have accomodation) booked.

We are looking for a reasonanbly priced hotel in or around Death Valley.

Many thanks

Sue

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,218 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
3. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

Hi Sue ~ This is a Yosemite forum thread that belongs to ChanCarroll. It's a great idea to 'lurk' and read other threads, but please put your questions on your own threads in the appropriate forums so you can receive the best exposure. I'm sure the DV folks will help you soon on your DVNP thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k5172673 While you're waiting, you might go ahead and reply to your own thread and include details like who is in the travel group, your travel style, and your route (coming from Yosemite and heading to Las Vegas?)

ChanCarroll ~ let us know if you have other questions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
243 reviews
191 helpful votes
4. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

Pacific, is it not worth Chan heading north from Yosemite, crossing where they can and enjoying the Owens Valley/395 drive down to Lone Pine before heading into Death Valley?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
37 reviews
152 helpful votes
5. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

Northern passes also will be closed so prob OP has to drive via 88 or 50 first and that's not a one day trip between Yosemite and Death Valley then. Not to mention weather condition on the northern part of 395 where you will go over 8000' +.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
243 reviews
191 helpful votes
6. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

The OP didn't say they needed to make Yosemite to Death Valley one day, just San Francisco to Las Vegas in four.

They could leave SF first thing on day one, be in Yosemite late-morning, enjoy the rest of the day and half of the next before driving out via 88 or 50 and overnighting somewhere south of Lake Tahoe. They could then spend the next day taking in the Eastern Sierra to Lone Pine and head to Death Valley the next morning and Las Vegas by that evening.

Compared to Pacific's itinerary it's 40 miles further, but I think these are scenic miles, there's the same amount of time in Yosemite, a little less in Death Valley but they get a day exploring the Eastern Sierra. I think it keeps the whole itinerary interesting as, let's be honest, the Bakersfield leg and stopover are basically just functionary.

Another benefit, although I have no way of knowing whether this is important to the OP, is that accommodation in Lone Pine will be cheaper than in Death Valley.

I'm not (necessarily) advocating that itinerary but asking you DEs, I guess, why not?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
37 reviews
152 helpful votes
7. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

With 4 days (3 nights) that can be done if no snow on 395 but I think it's a longer detour than 40 miles. More like 100.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
243 reviews
191 helpful votes
8. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

You're absolutely right. I don't know how I came upon that 40 miles. I've been pushing and pulling the little white dot and can't work it out.

No snow on the 395 right now. Is there much predicted between now and the OP's trip? I actually started my own thread asking a similar question earlier so an answer here would serve me, too!)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
37 reviews
152 helpful votes
9. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

Well, you know LDN. We had a rainy and warm winter here in western Europe till the extreme cold and snow started begin of februari. Not much snow in the sierras till now but that can change rapidly....

Here's a site for the sierra drives:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/mtnhwys.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
243 reviews
191 helpful votes
10. Re: Road Trip - San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas
Save

But is a rapid change predicted in the Sierras?

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.