We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

I'm tossing up between staying at the Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl. Seems like Desert Pearl is a nicer hotel but is it in easy walking distance to shops and restaurants?

Both seem to be on a shuttle stop. Do the shuttles run at night?

Marblehead, MA
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

Both places are easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. I'm not sure of the shuttle schedule but I assume it runs through the evening hours. I've never stayed at the Pioneer Lodge but have seen it many times, and in my opinion the Desert Pearl is in a totally different league. It is just wonderful and totally convenient. The shuttle stops right in front of the hotel. You can't go wrong with the Desert Pearl.

Utah
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

AussieKathy

As in "everything"....there are good and bad points...that being stated I will continue!!

I have stayed at both...they are very close to one another on separate sides of the main street...they are both close to shopping and restaurants. The shuttle runs back and forth on the main road (Zion Park Blvd) and stops at many locations....both the D.Pearl and Pioneer Lodge have shuttle stops located in front of the hotels... HOWEVER!!! When are you arriving?? Because the shuttles do NOT run in the winter months. Things slow up in the winter as that is "off" season in Zion...the good thing about that is, you can get some really GREAT deals...the bad is, hours of operations, service, etc...are sometimes very lax! I myself prefer the Pioneer...it is right in the center of town, it is run very well and is very established...it is very clean. There is a great coffee shop in the lobby with a roaring fireplace (in winter)! It is just very cozy, homey and extremely comfy. You can go to the website www.pioneerlodge.com and get some good deals and tons of info. Management and staff are extremely knowledgable about the area. They have a hot tub that is truly wonderful and located at the base of a mountian and the stars are extremely close... a beautiful sight!

The Desert Pearl is a very nice property as well...maybe more pricey, a bit more institutional...a colder not so cozy atmosphere...two entirely different styles. I personally like the feel of the Pioneer and their commitment to good service. You can also check out the websites for much more info on each property...my vote is for the HISTORIC PIONEER LODGE!

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

We will be there 15th April from what I have read shuttle starts back up on 1 April.

Utah
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

A very nice time to visit Zion!!! Yes, your correct the shuttles start up on April 1st...that is the start of peak season in Zion. The rates go up but it is not as crowded as it will be in May thru Sept. !! I love Zion in April and Sept/Oct.!! There is a shuttle schedule on the Pioneer website I included in my previous reply! I think that Orbitz and Travelocity are offering 20% discounts in April at the Pioneer( not sure about D.Pearl.)

We were just up in Zion today...walked the "Riverside Walk"....had a great mocha latte from the coffee shop at the Pioneer!!! It's even beautiful there in the dead of "winter"!!

Safe Travels...

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

Was there any snow? This week should be interesting according to the weathermen.

Utah
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

No snow in Springdale and just a few patches here and there on the walk...it was pleasant and we were there later in the afternoon early evening, its fun to see all the deer then...

Yes, the weather calls for quite a bit of snow...this week. I live in St George and it rained the entire day and still raining! That only happens 3 or 4 days a yr!!

FYI...there is also a "Live" weather link on PIoneer website...its really has lots of good info...Aussie Kathy...you can check it out before you leave to see what the weather will be in Zion!!

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

thanks for your help I think I will go with Pioneer it sounds like its a bit closer to restaurants etc. Just travelling with my 79 year old mum and she can't walk too far and I will check out the website as well as I will be very interested in seeing what the weather will be doing.

We have a cruise booked for the Mexican Rivera before Zion. So looks like I will have to pack some warm gear as well.

Utah
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

Good choice! Yes, the Pioneer's location is great for walking anywhere and the area has sidewalks (not road edges). Do request a room on ground level.. this should not be a problem in April. We always attend the St Patrick's Day festivities in Zion...the weather has always been nice/warm...so in April, it is warm in the day and cooler in the evening when the sun goes down...so warmer clothing is a good idea...but you will be able to know that when you check the weather conditions closer to your arrival!

My business has a trip planned for the Mexican Rivera Jan 2011...I, however, am not a fan of Mexico...being from the West (Az.) we always traveled to Mexico...things have changed there very much now. We love to go to San Diego,Ca.! I am not an out of country adventurer...I am a great fan of Hawaii!!! However, if i were asked one place I would like to travel abroad...it would definately be Austrailia for sure...ahhhh! maybe someday!!

I am just as sure you and your Mum...will have a splendid time at Zion and the Pioneer!! Have a great time...

9. Re: Pioneer Lodge or Desert Pearl Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Springdale