We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through Utah from Denver

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through Utah from Denver

I will be attending a conference in Denver in early June. A friend from Australia will also be attending the conference and will return with me to Southern California for a visit. She would love to see the sights between Denver and LA and I am considering renting a car and driving back, stopping at Moab the first night, Bryce& Zion the second, and then Las Vegas the third. We only have the three days to get back so my question is whether it is worth it as we can only do a "drive thru" of the major sights? I drove this route MANY years ago and recall that it was not too strenuous but my memory may have become distorted with time.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,799 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through Utah from Denver

Three days is not much time,but it is what it is!Stay a night in Moab,then drive to Bryce via Hwy 24 and 12.Hwy 12 is really pretty.You will pass Capitol Reef NP on that route.

Try staying at Bryce,because Zion is another two hours away.Bryce can be seen fairly quickly.

The next day drive to Zion,stop at Canyon Overlook just outside the Zion tunnel.Short trail,nice intro to the park.Park at Canyon Junction,and take the shuttle up the canyon.This will save you some time,versus going to the visitor center and backtracking.

Zion to Vegas is three hours,and you gain one hour when you hit NV.

Its very rushed,but it can be done.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through Utah from Denver

Great route suggested by dez40. I think this is a great way to go. I think a key will be getting early starts each day so that you can get to your destinations with as much daylight available as possible. The great news is that there is beautiful scenery all along the routes that you will be driving.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through Utah from Denver

Thanks so much dez40 and OhioHick. I know that 3 days isn't much time but its all we've got and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to show my Australian friend the beautiful scenery between here and Denver.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
4. Re: Driving through Utah from Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 14:18