We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

I'm trying to book a room for a couple nights but every place I almost pick has some reviews of having their electronics or other belongings stolen from their room. Do any of these places have a room safe or a safe at the front desk? Not very relaxing worrying about your things being stolen.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

The more expensive Hotels probably have room safes, budget ones I doubt will have.

Lock your door and window at night, most thefts seem to be opportunist. I often take a cable and then I can secure windows if need be, you will see what some windows are like, often warped with damp/age and locks are not very good. Never had a problem at VV. I have read there were 2 thefts at my guesthouse but both were when people went off in the night to the toilet and did not lock their door. Someone did try to get into my room in Nong Khiaw during the night but the door was bolted so they went off.

Theft is a problem in some places in Laos, VV and Nong Khiaw have had reports. Also watch out for people (kids) reaching into to your room with bamboo canes to get wallets etc. People fall asleep on their bed or go to bathroom and leave wallet on bed or side table, I always put my money away, out of reach usually in a locked case. Basic precautions will prevent most thefts.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

Not many guesthouses offer safes , But some offer safety boxes at reception. The better hotels will.

I have a portable travel safe made by PACSAFE. They offer a wide variety of lockable travel accessories.

I have travelled extensively for years in SE Asia, and have never had a problem.

Don't leave things out lock in your suitcase etc.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

Thank you for your tips! I booked a place with a safe in the room so I don't worry about it

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

A misconception is that room safes are just that - safe. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Look on YouTube to see how easy it is to get into a safe. Smart staff do not steal all your money, just a little bit so you won't notice.

And it's hard to notice after getting a wad of bills after exchange.

A pacsafe portable safe is a good safeguard against opportunists.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
328 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

I would still worry about it, trust me. There is room crime here, and the hotels all post warning signs stating this. Safes are really a false sense of security. Hide your stuff in the room.

6. Re: Any hotels safe for belongings in Vang Vieng?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2018, 13:16