We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corn Islands safety

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Corn Islands safety

My wife and I are considering a vacation to the Corn Islands. However I have read several accounts of violent crime one in particular earlier this year. My question is is it actually safe or are people just saying that? I haven't been able to find a real answer and a lot of the information I have found is conflicting.

7 replies to this topic
Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corn Islands safety

It is safe. I live there and have never had a problem. The crime you are referring to was on Little Corn and it was true but one criminal act to a tourist in the 6 years I have been there is not a really large amount. They got rid of that person immediately, thrown off the island. I am on Big Island and the only crime is the usual petty stuff. Just use your head as you would anywhere else.

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corn Islands safety

as with anywhere you will always get conflicting answers. And even once you are there, you will get conflicting answers.

This is because what is safe to one person is unsafe to another.

I grew up in a small town, and one year there was a murder, and suddenly so many people talked about how the town had gotten so unsafe and dangerous!!! After growing up and living in big cities, i now think of that small town as being about as safe as you can get in this world.

Someone who is involved in a bad situation might have a completely different view than someone else who has never had a problem, etc.

Corn Islands has had its faults and problems over its history, just like everywhere else. But its not any more or less dangerous that any other small areas. Its much safer than large cities, but still make sure that you use common sense when traveling there and understand that nowhere can guarantee perfect safety.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corn Islands safety

As allpartoftheadventur mentioned the only crime that i read on the news it was only one in the last 6 years and if you compare that to any other destination in the Americas is really safe, just practice common sense at any place that you will go an you will have a great time.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Corn Islands safety

Thank you for the information, this is about what I was thinking. It really sounds like a wonderful place, I just wanted some current feedback to what it's actually like. That one story I saw several different places along with similar stories which didn't involve a physical attack. That can have a way of putting you off going somewhere. However, I think we will be heading there sometime soon.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corn Islands safety

We are currently on big corn. Several local folks have strongly advised against going into the Indian areas. I have walked twice thru the areas they warned against. I’m a woman. I found no reason to be wary. I’m all neighborhoods people have been very friendly and gracious. Everyone has been proud of their island and hopeful you will want to return. And by the way there are three fantastic walks around the island. For those of you that like that sort of thing.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Corn Islands safety

headed ti little corn on tuesday May 22, 2018. Is it safe right now? Staying at Yemaya.

Little Corn Island...
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corn Islands safety

Caron,

Like ANYwhere in the world, it is safe, until it is not. Nowhere is 100% free from all crime, all of the time, but thankfully, Little Corn Island has much less than most places in the world, and when we have had it, it has been dealt with swiftly, so there has been even less in recent years than ever before. More than likely, Little Corn is safer than your own hometown.

Also, we currently have the best police group on the island in the history of the tourism on the island now.. These guys are serious law enforcers, and the local riffraff (the kind you find anywhere) know it and don't fool around anymore, because they know it's a small island, and that they will get the swift arm of the law coming down on them.

Like anywhere, use common sense, and we're as safe, or safer than most places you'll travel.

I live here, and I wouldn't say it if I didn't know it and believe it.

PS: Yemaya is a really nice resort.. Have a great time!

Reply to: Corn Islands safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Big Corn Island
More Big Corn Island Topics