We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 pangas/day from BC to LC? Early departure from LC?

San Juan del Sur...
7 posts
Save Topic
2 or 3 pangas/day from BC to LC? Early departure from LC?

Hi!

I had heard the panga's corresponded with three daily La Costena flights but after reading through some (recent) posts here many people seem to indicate that there are only two panga's per day. We were planning on taking the 11:00am flight from MGA to BC, but it seems like maybe there is only a morning and late afternoon one? If so, we might as well wait and take the later flight.

On our way out we were planning on catching that 8:10am flight off BC back to MGA. At this point we're planning on "risking" it and staying on LC the night before the flight, catching that early panga and hoping to make the flight. We're not coming until mid April so I believe we should have less change of weather related cancellations? Does the morning panga usually get passengers there with enough time? Does anyone know (as I could't find the info on La Costena's site), if we miss our flights, can we pay a last minute fee to change our tickets to the later flight (obviously only if it had room)?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 pangas/day from BC to LC? Early departure from LC?

WE were on both Corn Islands last week. Like you, we took the 11 am flight out of Managua, as we didn’t want to take the risk missing the last panga of the day to LC.

There were more people waiting already and for some reason they put in an extra (smaller) panga, that left around 2:30 pm.

There were only 9 people on board, including the boat operator. Being it such a small boat, the ride was very scary and I have to admit that I was super happy we made it safely to LC. They charged us $10 for this ride, BTW.

On our way back, we took the 6:30 panga, which was bigger, but it was full. Not all the people that wanted to get on, were able to,

so make sure you’re at the dock at least 45 minutes before.

Our flight to BC left more than an hour too late. Not sure what the reason was, but eventually they had two 12-seater planes flying to Managua at the same time.

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Boston...
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 pangas/day from BC to LC? Early departure from LC?

I've done the first panga ride from LC to BC to catch the first flight to Managua a couple of times, and am doing it again in April. I think it's important to note that April is typically calm weather, calm seas, low wind. Of course anything can happen, but in general that has been my experience. I've always visited in late March or April for that reason. Most stories I've heard about late pangas, flights, etc have happened in other months.

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Reply to: 2 or 3 pangas/day from BC to LC? Early departure from LC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island