We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

I wish to book a scenic flight from wanaka to see mountains glaciers waterfalls etc. Which is the best (most scenic) route-mt aspiring or mt cook flights? And is it worth paying extra for a helicopter? Whats the difference? Lots ?'s sorry folks i want to spend my money as wisely as possible without "missing out"

6 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Wanaka - helicopter :)

this should answer everything - https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
1,140 Reviews
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Sounds wonderful but (hopefully) will be going bus cruise fly Milford sound from QT early in our holiday-i want to take my daughters on another flight that has a different flight path to that so as not to double up. Hence my ? Re flights from wanaka. There seems to be so many options i just get confused! Ive researched till my eyes have crossed and am still unsure

I want to go to MS by coach to not miss the stops/walks/photo ops so a flight from wanaka is out for that

Edited: 13 June 2018, 20:45
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Did you not read the link I posted above??

yes there are flight options in Wanaka and I mentioned several - I also named the flight I think most brilliant - perhaps read the link again :)

Edited: 13 June 2018, 20:50
Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
1,140 Reviews
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Sorry for the confusion-i meant we're not going to MS from wanaka because there is no bus cruise fly option from there. I want to find out if mt aspiring flight from wanaka covers similar/same flight paths. Does that make more sense?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Mt Aspiring isn't anywhere near Milford Sound and so no, the flight path doesn't even cross and is in no way similar. Mt aspiring is located in the Southern Alps and a flight in this area includes mountains, glaciers, lakes, rivers, waterfalls - no fiords.

Your original question, I thought, asks which is best, Mt Aspiring or Mt Cook. Is a helicopter worth the extra you asked.

My answer was - and is - Wanaka - helicopter. I added a link which details my many flights Mt Cook, Milford and Mt Aspiring - my favourite of all of them is Mt Aspiring by helicopter.

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
1,140 Reviews
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?

Ok thanks! Mt aspiring flight it is methinks! Cant wait!

Reply to: Scenic flight-plane or helicopter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted