We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Hi! My husband and I are visiting Isla Holbox 2/7/18-2/12/18. While we have been to Mexico several times, we just found out about the island this week and don't know much about it. We are staying at Villas Flamingos. Any tips, must see places, restaurants or things we absolutely have to do?

Also, has anyone stayed at Villas Flamingos? Would love to know more. Anything you can recommend would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!!

Jaimie

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Villas Flamingos
Villas Flamingos
776 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
18 replies to this topic
White Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
337 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Jaimie,

When you are done packing, remove half of your things and you are good to go. If you read through the posts you will see sandals, shorts and t shirts are the norm. If you need to dress up to be comfortable, go right ahead, just know, it is not expected anywhere on the island.

Breakfast 1. La Tortilleria Espana main street across from basketball court. 2. Open market 100 feet towards ferry pier from La Tortilleria. 3. Calibri.

Lunch 1. Villa Mar, beach front end of main street, next to "tourist" pier. 2. Las Panchas, almost beach front one block west of main street, next to hotel La Palapa. 3. El Hornito Argentino, Main street very near to La Tortillleria.

Dinner 1. La Casa Nostra rooftop, on top of hotel Chuuk Kay. Beppe is a very passionate chef, will not disappoint. 2. Viva Zapata 1 block off beach 1/2 block west of main street, incredible margaritas. 3. El Chapulim, no menu, cash only, main street between main square and beach. Quite nice..

Take the 3 island tour, will take 3-4 hours about 25 usd per person max. Tip the captain 200 pesos per couple, you have to pay 15 pesos per person to get into Yalahaul, they don't tell you that. Don't bother to bring flippers, maybe a mask or goggles (cenote).

Walk the beach from VF to the right or East at least until the river that sort of marks the end of the inhabited portion of the island. Walk the beach to the West or left of VF all the way until the Carolinda beach club, past there is tough to navigate. Bring a bag for shells and a bag for trash, fortunately, the shell bag will fill up first. There are a few places to buy a drink if you are so inclined.

Rent a cart or hire a taxi and or a bike and go to punto cocos beach. Very tranquilo, punto cocos bar is 100 yards off the beach and they have great bar food and cold drinks.

Western edge of town right where the airport begins is the Refugio, this is the animal shelter on the island. They can do some pretty wonderful things with 20 usd, knock on the gate and they will come out. Very nice folks.

It appears you will be there for Carnaval, very lucky, make sure your batteries are charged. They have the most awesome kids dancing in the streets, full costumes, very fun time.

Sunscreen, bug spray, comfortable shoes. All the ATM stories are half true, change dollars at home at your bank. Most of the restaurants I listed will take a card.

Go to Raices at least once for a sunset. The waiters will put the sun to bed with the conch shells, my favorite thing on the island, next to the dogs.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Las Panchas
Las Panchas
770 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
Viva Zapata
Viva Zapata
1,690 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
El Chapulim
El Chapulim
758 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
208 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Take a flashlight for walking at night!

michigan
Level Contributor
378 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Rob thank you! Always posting with great info.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
148 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Terrific reply, Rob, thanks so much! Jaime, we're staying at Villas Flamingos (first time to Isla Holbox, so no tips yet from me!) from 1/8-1/14, and I'll be sure to post with any useful info when I return.

Rob, who did you use for the 3-island tour? We definitely want to do that, but I'd prefer to go with the guide with whom you had a good experience.

Thanks for your help!

Ruth

Mentioned in this post
Villas Flamingos
Villas Flamingos
776 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Wow, this was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Hi Ruth. I would love to hear about your trip when you get back. Especially the hotel. Please keep in touch :)

-Jaimie

White Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
337 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Ruth,

Booked through Miguel in front of Et Viola (main street green VW bus) we were on the vessel "Moro". Captain was Antonio..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Seriously, cancel. Here now and this place is MASSIVELY overrated.

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Which place? Villas Flamingos? Isla Holbox in general? Please be more specific in your grievances. I see you are looking to travel to an island but are seeking to avoid seafood (and dairy products). In your reply, can you only address those grievances unrelated to veganism? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Villas Flamingos
Villas Flamingos
776 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
Longs, South...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?

Awesome post, thank you. I'll be there Tuesday can't wait!

Reply to: Visiting Isla Holbox - any tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted