We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips/activities for teens in August?

los angeles
Level Contributor
477 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips/activities for teens in August?

Need advise for fun day trips and activities for teen boys (17 & 14) during 5 day trip to Gulf of Papagayo. We'll be staying at Andaz. I am aware of the hotel's amenities and activities but want to know what there is to see and do beyond the hotel. We will have spent 3 days at Arenal before arriving to Andaz. I've seen several tour operators offer tours to cloud forests, national parks , fishing/snorkeling, etc.. Which tours have you done and loved? Did you rent a car or hire guides?

Also looking for restaurant recommendations near the hotel or surrounding beaches/towns. We like everything from hole in the wall to upscale and a wide variety of cuisines.

TIA

1 reply
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips/activities for teens in August?

There's sailing, snorkeling, sunset cruises, scuba diving, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, sport fishing. Here are thousands of photos I've taken out and around (and in) the Gulf of Papagayo - http://bit.ly/2trn0ey so you can see what it looks like.

If you want to do day trips inland from the coast, the Palo Verde River tour is cool...see crocodiles, white faced monkeys and all kinds of birds and other wildlife. You can also get an adventure day pass at Borinquen or Guachipelin. At both places you can do horseback riding, hiking, hot springs, mud baths, canopy tour...you'll sleep well that night after all that fun! For the Palo Verde River tour I would hire a driver to pick you up at Andaz and take you to there. For going into town (Coco/Hermosa/Ocotal) I would use a rental car, and also it's easy to drive a rental car to Borinquen or Guachipelin to do their adventure day tours. If you want to hire a driver, try Blue Sky Private Tours http://blueskyprivatetourscr.com/

Another super cool tour is the Barra Honda Caverns. You can drive the rental car there. It's a hike! and then you go down in caves to see stalagmites and stalactites. Blue Sky could also take you there or even be your transportation to and from the airport. They're good guys, our guests have been very happy with them.

For rental cars, I like Adobe. I do not like Dollar.

As far as good eats - lots of choices in Coco beach. Cafe de Playa and Pacifico Beach Club, and Bar Ancla, Bamboo bar, Donde Claudia y Gloria are all beach front. Donde Johan is a little restaurant near the beach with great food. Jardin Tropical is a Tico "soda" near the beach that has great local food. A little up the road from the beach are Zi Lounge, Coconutz, some burger joints, pizza, fried chicken...Murphy's Mexican pub and I've experienced the chef, Keith's, food before and it's excellent! Corotacos is a great quick lunch spot. The tacos and burritos are delicious. Congo Cafe in the Pacifico center is a cool little air conditioned coffee shop where you can get breakfast and lunch. There's a Hard Rock cafe too if you're into that.

Over in Hermosa there's Aqua Sport which is beach front and Roberto's... down south in Ocotal there's the beachfront restaurant Father Rooster and then hop over the hill south again and you'll find Picante restaurant...sweet place with a pool and ocean view. Great atmosphere and yummy food. Picante is inside a development called Bahia Pez Vela and they are large rentable, privately owned condos. Far walk to town but it's really pretty over there.

More questions, feel free to private message me!

Pura vida!

Heather

Reply to: Day trips/activities for teens in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gulf of Papagayo