We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Were to visit

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Were to visit

Hi am looking for somewhere to stay for a weeks holiday, normally my husband and I go to Norfolk or Southwold in Suffolk which we love but I fancy a change and am wondering if Broardstairs might fit the bill. We don't want anything too busy, but enjoy great pubs serving really good food and like just to be able to mooch about and possibly get about without too much driving.

Thanks

Tina

7 replies to this topic
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Were to visit

Crucially, when is this week planned for? If during the summer, Broadstairs can get exceptionally busy during festivals/events such as Folk Week in August. It was very busy on Sunday just gone due to a combination of the heat wave and the Dickens Festival. But, at quieter times, is a nice place to mooch about.

The pubs tend to be more drinks orientated, perhaps as there are a lot of restaurants. Some good micropubs and bars too.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
79 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Were to visit

Thanks we're retired so not planning to go until after end of school summer holidays!!! Looking for great food wine real ales in pubs or restaurants we don't mind and different independent shops, lovely local walks would be good too and the odd castle visit would keep my husband happy!!! Also after 40 years at sea a Marina to wonder up and down a real bonus. Hope this meets Broadstairs criteria. All advice greatfully received

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Were to visit

September should be a lovely time to come. 1st weekend in October is the Food Festival when it can be very busy especially if good weather.

Broadstairs is small but is not short of places to eat and drink and has some nice independent shops. Practically every establishment along Albion St is either a restaurant or a bar. The popular Thirty-Nine Steps has just moved to larger premises (now 'Brewhouse' rather than just 'Alehouse'). Not been in the new incarnation yet but walkedbpast and seems somewhere in between a micropub and traditional pub. The Chapel is a very quirky craft beer micropub, now a Brewdog bar so not cheap. Two further micropubs in nearby St Peters which potentially is walkable.

Nice walk to Ramsgate through the King George VI Memorial Park, look out for the wild parakeets and the Italianate Greenhouse. Or a short drive/bus journey. Ramsgate will give you your marina fix - it's a stunningly beautiful marina with a hint of the south of France in the architecture (Broadstairs itself only has a tiny little harbour). Again, lots of places to eat and drink along Ramsgate waterfront.

In the other direction, there are the three splendid semi-rural beaches of Joss Bay, Kingsgate Bay and Botany Bay. If you drive to Botany Bay there is a nice easy walk along the grassy lawns to Margate, or take the train - more fab places to eat and drink (a more bohemian/brash vibe here though).

Castles - Dover Castle is the 'biggie' in the area, Walmer and Deal also have small castles (Walmer has fine gardens). The other big historic attraction in the area is Canterbury Cathedral, probably easier to get the train rather than drive.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Were to visit

I'll echo everything BayBOy has said and add that public transport connections to Canterbury, by bus or train and further afield to Dover and Deal and in the other diction to Whitstable and Herne Bay are easy by train. if you are coming from London take the high speed Javelin trains from St Pancras international via Canterbury for a journey that takes roughly 11/2 hours.

Edited: 21 June 2017, 05:05
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Were to visit

Just realised I had a reply. Thanks again Broadstairs sounds just what we're looking for will now get on with finding accommodation. Cheers

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Were to visit

I was wondering if someone could give me some help please,,myself and 9 other friends ages ranging from 29 years old to 84 years old will be staying in Broardstairs from Friday 8th Sept to Monday 11th Sept 2017 and would like some information on places where to go in and around Broardstairs many thanks jayne.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Were to visit

Hi Jayne,

Whar sort of places and how will you be travelling?

As a start, for the immediate area have a look at the local tourist board website:

www.visitthanet.co.uk

Reply to: Were to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Broadstairs