We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting from USA...

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting from USA...

Hello. We will be staying in a self catering flat on Granville Rd. this summer. No car. Will the rail station be within walking distance or better to take taxi? Which supermarket is most convenient? Also, where would we purchase local bus tickets? We want to visit Ramsgate and Marsgate also just as a day trip.

THANKS

Valerie

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,752 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting from USA...

All the local bus information can be found here

www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx…

Select location 'East Kent' then browse around for timetables and maps in the Margate/Ramsgate/Broadstairs area.

The area bus map is here to help you find which route(s) pass nearby.

stagecoachbus.com/uploads/…5D.pdf

Broadstairs doesn't have a bus station, so on most journeys you can just pay cash to the bus driver.

There are various passes available to keep the cost down. Details here

stagecoachbus.com/uploads/thanet_faresandtic…

Granville Road is about half a mile from Broadstairs Station. It's a turning off Ramsgate Road between Oscar Road and Thanet College as shown on the bus map, but not itself marked.

Sorry I cannot help with local shops, but you will see the Westwood Cross Shopping Centre clearly marked. I don't know how many shops are left in Broadstairs High Street/Queen's Road area etc.

Nice area, many years since I have been there, enjoy!

Edited: 22 January 2012, 08:27
Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting from USA...

Thank you so much! One more question....are umbrellas/chairs available for rent at the beach or is it bring-your-own?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting from USA...

Hello,

Supermarkets - there is a Tesco Metro store in Broadstairs High Street which should be sufficient for you (between the junction of Belvedere Road and Charlotte Street). www.tesco.com/storeLocator/default.asp…

There is also the big out-of-town Asda on Broadstairs Road (the A256 as you head towards the Westwood Cross mall), served by buses. I'd only suggest this if you can't find what you need at Tesco Metro. Further along the same road is the massive two-storey Tesco Extra. Both are open 24 hrs during the week (buses don't run 24 hrs though!).

http://storelocator.asda.com/#!/store/broadstairs

www.tesco.com/storeLocator/default.asp…

Train station - I can walk this (briskly) in 10 mins from the seaward end of the high street, I'd suggest allowing 20 mins from where you are, so time to buy tickets etc. It's uphill from the town centre.

Daytrips - Margate - I'd suggest going by train as the train station is right by the seafront opposite the beach and would be much quicker than buses going via the Westwood Cross mall. Ramsgate - the train station is some distance from town (about 20 mins walk?) but buses drop you right by the harbour so would recommend bus for this.

Beach - Although I was last in town/at the seafront in October, I haven't sat on the beach itself since July 2010 and don't recall umbrellas/chairs for rent, but it was not a hot day. Can't confirm for sure. Perhaps others can help.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting from USA...

I'll just add that if you are in Ramsgate, there is a lovely Waitrose supermarket in Queen Street in the town centre. If you want a change from Tesco (Waitrose is far superior in my opinion!), you could stop in there on the way back, as the bus passes the front with a stop just down the street.

http://www.waitrose.com/bf_home/bf/160.html

Near Cologne...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting from USA...

When staying in Broadstairs one can also walk to Ramsgate, should only take an hours time or so.....you just have to walk south from the beach and through the big parc that interconnects Ramsgate and Broadstairs.....might be an alternative if you are not shy of walking a bit.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting from USA...

If you do this, then the park referred to, although very scruffy the only time I've been, is one of the best places in Thanet to see the bright green ring-necked parakeets which have established wild colonies in the area. The park leads out into the East Cliff area of Ramsgate, which is rather run down - just keep walking along the promenade to the harbour.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,752 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting from USA...

I've walked from Broadstairs to Ramsgate, along the beach and the path under the cliffs but you can only do this at low tide. Took me about an hour.

8. Re: Visiting from USA...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2018, 22:52
Get answers to your questions about Broadstairs