We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broadstairs and sandy beaches

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
broadstairs and sandy beaches

Hi I was thinking to go to the seaside this weekend - the weather is apparently good - and I chose broadstairs and the area around it. I wonder if anybody can give me an idea of what to expect and where to go (I had a look online but surely some advice by somebody who lives/has been there is much appreciated).

I will be there just for one day and I am looking for a good sandy beach. I don't have kids so it doesnt' matter if it's not kids-friendly, it's going to be just 2 adults

thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,059 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: broadstairs and sandy beaches

Broadstairs has a very nice little sandy beach. There are also a couple of fairly decent pubs nearby. I haven't been there for a couple of years but last time I went it was very busy with families. This time of year it might nosh be, but if the weather's like it has been today (I am in Canterbury, not that far away) you would have a really nice day out.

Charles Dicken's Bleak House overlooks the beach (I don't know visiting hours etc) and the town itself has all sorts of little places to poke around in.

You can walk along from the beach to the undercliff walks if the tide is out.

Mentioned in this post
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Bleak House
Bleak House
205 Reviews
Broadstairs, UK
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: broadstairs and sandy beaches

I think "very nice" is an understatement! In my opinion the main beach, Viking Bay, is the best town beach in south-east England, for its beautifiul setting, and on a sunny day, its wonderful family atmosphere.

The reviews on TripAdvisor will hopefully give you something of an impression:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g635678-…

If you have a car, and would like something quieter, head to secluded Kingsgate Bay which is a stunning little beach with a chalk arch, or Botany Bay with its chalk stacks (which is a little more popular due to easier parking, but still relatively quiet) . These are in Kingsgate, about 2 or 3 miles north of the town.

Mentioned in this post
Viking Bay
Viking Bay
663 Reviews
Broadstairs, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Kingsgate Bay
Kingsgate Bay
67 Reviews
Kingsgate, UK
Botany Bay
Botany Bay
276 Reviews
Kingsgate, UK
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: broadstairs and sandy beaches

thank you both for the advices. I think I will go to Botany Bay, it looks really good. Perhaps we can pop in Kingsgate as well later in the day.

You said parking in Botany Bay is easier, is there a parking area or something like that near the beach? From the pictures I can see the cliffs and the sea but no parking area, is it near the beach?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Botany Bay
Botany Bay
276 Reviews
Kingsgate, UK
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: broadstairs and sandy beaches

Hi, well there's no car park as such at Botany Bay apart from The Fayreness Hotel-Restaurant (probably customers only) but there is space to park on the road. Look at Marine Drive and Percy Avenue on Streetview. It's a quiet suburban estate with no through-traffic.

From here you can easily walk round to Kingsgate Bay in about 5 mins following the coast path round the perimeter of the golf course. There is no onstreet parking at Kingsgate Bay as it's a main road but The Captain Digby pub-restaurant there has parking, again I would assume for customers only. Fantastic spot for a drink with a view but food reviews are a bit iffy.

If you have bikes then all this is on the Viking Coastal Trail which between the Captain Digby via Botany Bay to the Turner Contemporary at Margate is on an easy flat off-road cycle path and highly recommended. The other way between the Captain Digby and Broadstairs it is mostly on-road and hilly.

Mentioned in this post
Botany Bay
Botany Bay
276 Reviews
Kingsgate, UK
Kingsgate Bay
Kingsgate Bay
67 Reviews
Kingsgate, UK
Captain Digby
Captain Digby
456 Reviews