We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uvita - diversity of wildlife in the area?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
460 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Uvita - diversity of wildlife in the area?

I'm currently living in Panama as a tourist. Every 90 days I have to exit the country in order to maintain my right to drive, so the last two times I went to Puerto Jimenez on the Osa Peninsula.

I love Puerto Jimenez because I've seen so much fantastic wildlife in the area, and you don't need to spend any money to see it. You can just go out in different directions on walks, and see all kinds of interesting stuff.

However, for my next trip (early or mid-January) I'm thinking of heading to Uvita for a change. I'm not expecting it to be as good (by my standards) as Puerto Jimenez, but I'm wondering if there's a lot of different types of birds/animals in the area.

Or, if one of the nearby towns would be better for me, which would you recommend? I'm looking for something that isn't too far from the Panama border at Paso Canoas, and is fairly easily reached by bus from Ciudad Neily. I don't think I want to head all the way up to Manuel Antonio.

Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uvita - diversity of wildlife in the area?

Nothing can be as good as Osa. But if you like birds, Uvita will offer you plenty to watch. It is driving distances to Hacienda Baru, San Gerardo de Dota and Sierpe for three very different environments, and I have seen a fair share of birds just hiking the trails up the place we have stayed at.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uvita - diversity of wildlife in the area?

Uvita may be better for whales and you can also snorkel Cano Island from there.

3. Re: Uvita - diversity of wildlife in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2017, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Uvita
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor