We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

Plainfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

I saw pictures of Uvita Beach and fell in love. After going to their section of reviews on this site though, I feel nervous to go. We don't have to swim, but we almost always have our GoPro, our phones, and a DSLR while we travel. I read that masked men are robbing people by knifepoint? Are there specific areas, specific people being targeted, or is this just a place we should avoid? I'm so sad bc I was really looking forward to seeing this gorgeous scenery!

Thank you for any helpful information you may have!

Mentioned in this post
Uvita Beach
Uvita Beach
494 Reviews
Uvita, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

You can always visit and enjoy the beach by leaving the gadgets in the room. Chances of being robbed are slim, and even slimmer if in a company. To be sure ask about the updated situation at your lodge.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

We visited the Uvita Beach with no worries at all. We take little of value to the beach and keep cameras etc in inexpensive looking bags/old backpack etc. Same as when we are off the beaten path exploring back roads, waterfalls etc. Try NOT to look like a target to thieves. (jewelry, ipods, iphones etc make you stand out) We rent an SUV from Vamos and they are usually a bit "battered" looking. Leave the windows open and vehicle unlocked. (No diff than going to a tourist beach here in fl really in that respect). We take our oldest and most faded beach towels, a small soft side cooler of beer/water. GoPro can fit in our pocket and we leave phones at the villa/hotel. In all of our trips to CR (knock on wood) so far we have not had any issue at all with theft nor felt threatened in any way. We also avoid driving at night on dark roads for any distance, find for local restaurants etc. We are usually "home" by 10pm as the monkeys and birds wake us early.

Mentioned in this post
Uvita Beach
Uvita Beach
494 Reviews
Uvita, Costa Rica
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

Do not take anything you wouldn't mind losing. If you do have to take something of worth to the beach make sure someone is with it at all times. If 2 of you are there and you leave even an empty bag you should expect it to get swiped. By the whale tail are a lot of people snorkelling and a lot of tourists rest their bags on the rocks as they dive...this area shouldn't be too bad to leave something. But anywhere else (it is a very quiet beach) is a risk.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

I spent multiple days at Uvita beaches in April & felt safe. I did however leave phones & cameras back in the room safe and only took a beach towel, water bottle & sunscreen. If you both go in the water at the same time, you risk someone swiping your stuff. We were warned about beach theft by the park rangers. This problem is not limited to Uvita.

Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
5. Re: Is Uvita Beach Safe to go to for just two people?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2017, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Uvita