We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wild parrots?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
wild parrots?

I read some where that there are some wild parrots in Florida, any around Anna maria? Thanks

18 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: wild parrots?

Yes -- there are enormous flocks of Quaker parrots all across central Florida. It's believed that all of the parrots in Florida are escaped pets. http://floridaswildparrots.blogspot.com/

Don't get too excited, though -- they're green and grey, about the size of a crow, and tend to be fairly shy -

Level Contributor
775 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: wild parrots?

Yes, used to be a pair hanging out at CVS, then a year later there were several! Funny how that happens.... I saw none this year, but would you hang out at CVS forever? JUst go down to Holmes Beach in the plaza and you will get your fill of screaching parrots! Heard them this morning having our last AMI breakfast at Minnies! And check out the new outfits at Minnies! Cute!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
197 reviews
3. Re: wild parrots?

Oh, my goodness! I've been going to AMI and LBK for years and NEVER knew what those noises were ... thought they were just the "local birds." But parrots?

There used to be a ton of peacocks up on LBK ... the last few years, though, we haven't been able to find them. Several were "relocated" over the years - wonder if that's what happened to the remaining ones? :-(

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
271 reviews
4. Re: wild parrots?

I didn't think to look for them in Florida. We were in Spain recently and they fly about there all the time. They seem to like the tall palm trees.

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
433 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: wild parrots?

I always used to see them in Holmes Beach near CVS and Walgreens but this year I only saw them in Anna Maria around Poppo's, but I saw them there multiple times! They're green, shy, and smallish.

Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
6. Re: wild parrots?

Yes, we see (and hear) them every time we are there. They like to hang out in Bald Cypress trees on the island. We have seen them mostly on the north end of the island. Just keep your ears open for a super loud bird and start looking for a green bird.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: wild parrots?

We see them frequently around the Palma Sola causeway/Manatee Avenue area. You definitely hear them before you see them. There are flocks that fly around Bradenton as well. We typically see the peacocks around side streets on the northern end of Longboat Key

Level Contributor
775 posts
98 reviews
8. Re: wild parrots?

None this year. I always look up at the CVS facade but obviously nthing roosting there.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: wild parrots?

it was cooler than usual this year- I haven't had any around my house so far, either.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: wild parrots?

They were in our backyard this year on the north end near Rod and Reel.

Reply to: wild parrots?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted