We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental companies

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental companies

I am looking at renting a car for my late April trip. Some of the rental places have addresses that look like they are about a mile from the airport. So I'm guessing you have to drag the whole family on a shuttle to the rental car place. With two babies that sounds like a pain. I'm almost thinking about telling my family to hang at the airport, while I go take care of the rental and then double back and pick them up. Are any of the car rental companies located at the airport? Thanks!

31 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,697 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental companies

Which airport - I've rented cars at both Tampa and Sarasota airport and in both cases the firms were on site although I used the major firms such as Hertz/Budget.

Some of the smaller firms could be located off airport.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,858 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental companies

Tampa airport has a new monorail type shuttle I believe. Should be easier than going outside for a bus.

Won't use it myselfvtil April

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental companies

Whoops. Forgot to mention I am flying into Tampa thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental companies

There's a shuttle that takes you directly to the rental desks.

Since you won't be able to park in the pickup lines and leave your car to load up the wife and kids, taking the shuttle (a tram, not a road vehicle) to the rental building then getting in your car at your own pace is the far, far easier choice than finding a place to leave your wife and kids, then go get the car, get over to the terminal, and watch from the car while your wife trundles the luggage and the kids by herself.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental companies

Tampa airport has a brand new rental car facility that is serviced by a tram, as others have mentioned. All the major rental car companies are in that facility. I highly recommend using one of the major national brands -- Hertz, Budget, Avis, etc. The Tampa forum here on Trip Advisor is rife with criticism of some of the lesser brands like Sixt, Payless, etc. Be sure to search online for coupon codes. Budget especially has great stackable coupons that can bring the cost down considerably.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental companies

I have always walked to the garage at TPA and used Fastbreak with Budget or the Insider Aisle with Alamo. Is this still an option?

upstate NY
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental companies

According to the airport's website, the new rental car center (which just opened last month) is about 1.5 miles from the terminal. It is serviced by a tram that runs from the terminal every two minutes. Not sure you'd want to walk that distance with luggage, etc.

Maybe a recent visitor could fill us in on the changes???

Edited: 08 March 2018, 09:31
Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental companies

Wow! I had no idea they've made that change! This is helpful for our fall trip.

We like to book with a company that allows us to Skip the Counter. You pre-register and enter your credit card online before hand, grab your car and go. We use Alamo.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental companies

It looks like the old setup with SkyConnect to Baggage Claim and Ground Transportation?

www.tampaairport.com/ground-transportation

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
756 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental companies

I was concerned about the new Tampa Airport tram set up, because the car access walkway at Greene airport in RI is more than a mile in length. My friends and Ironwood-Pinebrook neighbors alerted me to the change on Feb. 27th. I called airport operations with my questions and they called me back the next morning. The director asked me what airline we use. I said SWA. He then told me that my luggage would go to baggage claim ramp # 15, we could red cap it or purchase the $5 luggage cart, then turn and walk a few short steps to an elevator, take it up to tram level, board the tram with all the luggage, get off at the second stop, and the car rental kiosks are right there. He said from boarding the elevator to exiting the tram, takes just 3 minutes. I was concerned because of the aspect of transporting 4 pieces of luggage and 2 carry on bags. I was very relieved after talking with the operations director. If we avoid our third snow event, we are flying into Tampa next Wednesday night and I will report in on our new tram experience.

Reply to: Car rental companies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island