We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

jc tenn
Level Contributor
590 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

Love that the condos are so close to the beach but from what I've seen they only accept small dogs. Do any accept larger dogs? Any recommendations for accommodations for family with a larger dog?

Thanks,

KC

12 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

This is entirely up to individual owners and each separate condo association-- there's really not an alternative other than to read every offering and/or contact the owners directly.

Illinois
Level Contributor
551 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

You might have more success browsing the rental companies listings looking for pet friendly. There will be more duplexes/houses that are pet friendly than beachfront condos. We needed larger than 25 lbs places and stayed twice in Holmes Beach a block or 2 from the water. We used Anna Maria Paradise and Island Realty (now Vacasa). We enjoyed these places with private pools! The trade off was no water view.

Mentioned in this post
Holmes Beach
Holmes Beach
Anna Maria Island, FL
Anna Maria
Anna Maria
Anna Maria Island, FL
United States
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

I agree with Jaelily, and will add that we have been able to negotiate even when the limit says 25 lbs.

Our dog is 70 lbs and we have stayed in homes where the limit was less, and one time where it wasn't even a pet-friendly house! Our rental company contacted the owners and got permission. Of course they were able to tell the owners that we had stayed with them previously and our dog did no damage.

Plus, he sleeps all day and is too lazy to jump on furniture, so in that respect he's less of an issue than a little dog. LOL

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

The problem with condos is that the pound limit for pets might be in their association rules so if you bring in a pet that is over the weight the owner might be in trouble. Our dog is 34 pounds so just over the weight limit. l did end up renting in a pet friendly duplex but the owner no longer accepts pets. She makes an exception for us because we rent for three months. It is hard to find reasonable and pet friendly but it never hurts to ask. If you find a property you like just ask or have the rental agency ask. They all seem to say 25 pounds like it is some magic number but I know home and duplex owners can be flexible. I really can[t think of a condo complex that allows larger pets.

Level Contributor
747 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

Obviously, at least two others here with real time experience! Keep in mind, the beach is very dog-UNfriendly! All year, all the time. I've seen active enforcement for "just walking" situations. On the other hand, lots of restaurants (and stores) are dog friedly placing out water bowls. I know there are "regulars" at the Starfish and Tide Tables as Karen Bell (the owner) is quite dog friendly! Good luck, there are places available... will take research!

jc tenn
Level Contributor
590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

Our dog doesn't eat when we board her so we prefer to take her on trips with us. We don't need to take her to the beach or on outings, we just hate for her to be miserable while we are gone. She is very mild mannered, non shedding, and well trained, but I understand owners are concerned about possible damage. We own a vacation rental cabin in the Smoky Mountains that is NOT "pet friendly" but we bring her when we visit and no one ever knows a dog has been in the house. What I always find odd is that so many little dog breeds are very difficult to "house train", yet they are the ones that owners readily accept.

Thank you for your help. I've found a few houses, I just thought it would be nice to be closer to the beach. This will be our first trip.

KC

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

There is a dog park in Holmes Beach and you can take the dog to the causeway to play but dogs are not allowed on any beaches ever, not even at Bayfront Park. Yes, you can take the dog to some outdoor restaurants but not any that are on the beach. We have taken our dog to Starfish in Cortez and also to Tide Tables but these are sometimes crowded so not the best situation as it involves sometimes sharing picnic tables. You can take your dog to the back garden at Waterfront.

Mentioned in this post
Holmes Beach
Holmes Beach
Anna Maria Island, FL
kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

Just another thought. We don't board, we have a cat sitter who also does dogs. She is a gem and will be sitting for our friend who has an elderly dog with a definite routine. She meets with clients and finds out about timing to keep the dog as comfortable as possible in their own home. Do you have anyone like that locally?

If that is not an option I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on the island. Do contact rental agencies. I know that our rental has been pet friendly we rent through Mike Norman (and it is on the beach). Our friends had a larger dog and rented across the street.

Edited: 25 April 2018, 05:54
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

Here in Illinois we can go on rover.com and find people who dog sit in their homes which might be better than boarding the dog in a kennel. You can contact some of the agencies on the island and let them know what you are looking for. When you plug in pet friendly on vrbo or homeaway the places that are pet friendly greatly reduce the number of vacancies. We stayed at Seagrape cottage right on Gulf and they were pet friendly as was Seagrape 2. Coastal Cottages and IslandReal (Vacasa now, I think) have pet friendly places. Mike Norman does also. There was a golden retriever staying around the corner from us and also a couple who was next door to us the year before in a small complex called Bay Breeze Cottages. Cute and small and pricey but great location. I think they are also on vrbo or you can google it.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?

Two things from my own experience traveling with my own dogs -- there is frequently a clause in the rental agreement stating that you will not leave your dog unattended in the property. This puts you on the hook for all damage when you leave the dog behind.

And as someone who has lived with people with animal allergies -- please, for the love of all that is holy, DON'T sneak your dog into a property that doesn't allow animals! People with animal allergies will absolutely know -- and may end up using an inhaler if they're lucky -- if not, it's an Epipen and a trip to the hospital -- and a ruined vacation.

Rules are there for a reason -- not for you to decide what applies and what doesn't.

Reply to: Over 25 lb Pet Friendly Condo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island