We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

1 post
Save Topic
AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

Hi - we will be flying out of Tampa on Saturday at 830am :( wondering how early to leave AMI to make the flight (will need to drop off rental car at new rental car location & have two young children in tow, I.e., we move slow). Good news is I’m hoping for less traffic on Saturday morning (?) but we did run into a few detours on the way here fromTampa that added to our trip time.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
6 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

Google maps suggests is a 75 minute drive and I would suspect that more traffic will be heading towards the gulf on a Saturday morning than towards Tampa.

I'm risk averse when it comes to catching flights and would be happy to spend extra time in the airport rather than stressing about missing it if I get stuck in traffic on the freeway.

I personally would aim to leave AMI around 5.00 to 5.30 which should get to TPA around 6.15 to 6.45 allowing enough time to drop off car, check in, drop off bags and clear security in time to be at the gate for a 8.30 departure.

It's an early start but you don't want to miss the flight.

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

We were stuck once in terrible traffic going to the airport and our daughter almost missed her flight. It was midweek and we thought we had allowed enough time. With children and car rental return I would leave at five. They can have something to eat at the airport if you have extra time.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

Hi Julia. We left AMI yesterday (bah humbug, we didn’t want to leave!), had a 6 pm flight and left at 2:30. We had plenty of time but wouldn’t say too much time and we are just two adults, no kids. It is less stressful for us to allow time for traffic as well as lines at TSA, bathroom before boarding and maybe getting a quick something to eat. Some people like to arrive just in time to board but we don’t mind sitting at the gate a few minutes. Were you thinking of leaving at 5 am? Will be interested to see what others say too. Oh and it does take a little more time with the new rental car center and lots more walking but it was efficient. In high season I would say Saturday morning would be very busy but not so sure right now. We thought Monday afternoon yesterday was busier than we thought things would be. Take care.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

Thanks all! I was thinking 5am and sounds like that’s the consensus. I did find the car rental spot really good, but does add a little more time. Now let’s hope we can make it out the door on time! (Oh apparently my name switches between devices!)

Edited: 02 May 2018, 00:38
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

maybe stay somewhere near airport the night before? with kids, thats a tough call....especially with potty stops, rental return etc.....

easter week tuesday we had a 9:50am flight out of tampa (we were in st. pete beach this year) and our car service picked us up at 6:45am (they said that was the latest in order to make flight)

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?

Hi Julia, Yes the new car rental center will add time. Really liked the old car rental directly across the road from the main terminal, now the tram link does add extra time. Traffic from AMI to Tampa early Saturday morning should be pretty good until you are north of St Pete's, from there on into Tampa it may be a little busier. I would also go with a 5.00 a.m. departure and expect to be at the terminal to check-in around 06.30.

Is that sufficient? What is the latest check-in? When we flew into Tampa arrived in Tampa a few weeks ago on an International Flight, from touchdown to driving out of the car hire - 40 minutes! And we had picked up our luggage from the belt. Really impressed, never before had everything run so smoothly and our cases (3) almost the first off. Sorry I digress! Have a safe flight home - and don't forget to book your next visit before you leave AMI!! Hope you have had a great time.

Edited: 02 May 2018, 06:09
Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Reply to: AMI to Tampa airport...how much time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted