We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

bloomington, IN
4 posts
Save Topic
got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

I just got a Piano Professor Position in Ludong University in Yantai, China. I am 35 years old, my husband just passed away, and I am currently living in Indiana, USA. They are paying for my trip to and from China to the US, and for my apartment there. The salary is 5000 chinese money a month, equal to roughly $800 US dollars. Would it be possible for me to live comfortably with his money there. Do you know something about the area? Any advice? I teach piano in Indiana, but not as a professor and that might be a good opportunity for a year. My e-mail: rbanova@hotmail.com Please advice.

16 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,702 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

First of all, my condolence for the passing of your husband.

$5,000 monthly salary is not very high. You should be able to live "comfortably", esp since they are paying for your apartment. I doubt that you'll save any money at the end of the year. But it'll certainly be a great experience.

Also please don't put personal information (such as your email address) on posts here.

Good luck.

bloomington, IN
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

thanks very much for the advice..I will decide soon what to do.

Bournemouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Hi,

I have just read your post, and if you did decide to take the position I would be very interested to hear what your experiences have been so far. I am looking to teach English in China, and one of the application options is for a school in Yantai. Having researched online, it seems that it is mainly an industrial town and perhaps lacks in character? Also are there lots of things to do there? And have you easily met other people with whom to make friends?

Would you recommend living there? Have you got any advice or positive / negative things that you would pass on to help me with my decision.

Thanks

bloomington, IN
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Hi Eleonor,

I decided to go to Yantai, China. Will let you know how it is. When do you need to go to Yantai? I was wondering about the exact same issues that you wrote about above. I hope it is easy to meet people. Maybe we can meet if you decide to go. Will keep you posted.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Yantai is a small city by Chinese standards, so it won't have nearly as much to do as a larger city like Beijing or even the provincial capital Jinan. Yantai is a port city. It has some beautiful coastline and a hilly backdrop. The coastal location will mean cleaner air than many Chinese cities. I haven't been there and can't comment on the culture, but aesthetically it actually seems quite nice.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
913 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

My condolence...

Welcome to Shandong, China.

Yantai is a nice city in Shandong, which I visited 10 years ago. RMB5000 is enough to survive there. :)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Just to give you an idea how much 5000 RMB would be in Shanghai: You would need to add about 1500-2000 RMB to pay the monthly rent of your western-style apartment. Nothing extraordinary, just a decent nice apartment. And this only if you have locals helping you. If you go to one of the expat real-estate agents you pay 9-10000/month easily.

Yantai is a totally different story I guess but don't underestimate the living costs in China. 5000 is not too much if your apartment is already 3000 and you want to see the country, meet some foreigners in the evening for drinks (in Shanghai a decent cocktail is not under 60 RMB) etc.

And if someone says 5000 is enough to survive I would agree, but with "survive" in VERY bold letters (seen from a Western perspective)...

Edited: 01 June 2012, 17:43
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,322 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Laowai - apart from the fact that the original post is more than 6 months old, you are clearly not aware of the education sector in China. 5000 RMB is quite a normal salary for a Chinese university outside of the eastern seaboard. Don't forget that the apartment is INCLUDED as is return airfare at the end of the contract. Quite possibly electricity is included too. I certainly can live well on less than 5000 pm excluding rent.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,030 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

all told, it's a very lousy expat package, even if return airfare is business class which I doubt.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

I lived in Yantai for just more than 1 year.

Yantai is one of my very favourite cities in China.

The seafront is adorable, from Yantai Shan all the way through to the University, which has one of it's main gates leading directly out onto a beautiful beach.

I have traveled to more places in China, than most people.

You are sure to like Yantai.

I have been to Yantai university many times, they have recently completed a lot of additional building works for accommodation.

As for Yantai not being a big city, well that's partly right, but "big" is relative.

It is not big compared say to say Weifang, where I live now, but on the same hand, Yantai is bigger than most USA cities.

It is all proportionate.

Weifang, where I live now, has some thing like 10,1 million persons.

I think Yantai is around 5 million.

Qingdao is very close to you, as is the beautiful Weihai.

Gra.

Reply to: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yantai