We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

bloomington, IN
4 posts
Save Topic
got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

I just got a Piano Professor Position in Ludong University in Yantai, China. I am 35 years old, my husband just passed away, and I am currently living in Indiana, USA. They are paying for my trip to and from China to the US, and for my apartment there. The salary is 5000 chinese money a month, equal to roughly $800 US dollars. Would it be possible for me to live comfortably with his money there. Do you know something about the area? Any advice? I teach piano in Indiana, but not as a professor and that might be a good opportunity for a year. My e-mail: rbanova@hotmail.com Please advice.

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
16 replies to this topic
Yantai, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Ten years in Yantai. I can summarize a few things for you rbanova.

It is definitely cheaper than the big cities to live here. 5000 is an ok salary, at most of our universities we are all called professors so don't worry about the responsibility of the title. It is a somewhat Industrial city, but on the seaside and our sea breezes (winds) blow the smoke away, no doubt out to sea, so air quality and environmental beauty are nice compared with the more industrial inland cities. Also a big part of the economy is tourism, so the aesthetics are good. EleanorB, my wife and I operate a small tutoring center (with the dubious honor of being the smallest foreign owned enterprise in Yantai) We are looking for people who want to teach in China, and or Yantai.

Qingdao... abor: You needn't offer condolences, we lived there too. I don't miss the refinery smoke, higher rents (especially during Olympics) and stale air shed over the Jiaozhou bay. For a weekend of different nightlife we go stay with friends in Qingdao, but for everyday work and a pleasing environs we live in Yantai.

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Jiaozhou
Jiaozhou
Shandong, China
Qingdao, China
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Yantai is very suitable for living in China. 5000RMB is enough to have a comfortable life. My hometown is Yantai. Although its economy development doesn't catch up ShanghaiBeijing and some big city in China, you can get convenient,safe and easy life. If you have some problems in your life, I am very glad to help you. Now I am not in Yantai, my local friends will do their best to help you. I am sure you can get a happy life in Yantai. By the way, Yantai people is very kindly and warmhearted. If need, my email is kikinisland@gmail.com.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Yantai
Level Contributor
66 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Make sure accommodation and electricity are free. 5000rmb is not a good salary, but not bad for a university. You won't save much and the cost of living in China is much higher than before. Taxis are not cheap and the buses are overcrowded. Most expats get much much more than teachers who often feel embarrassed to say they are teachers. You will almost never see a western teacher with a western wife and family. The money can not support them especially if they want to return to the west. It's often a singles or vacation job.

Jinghong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Shanghai and Beijing are there own little worlds when it comes to cost and living.

I does not reflect living in the rest of China.

Actually, living cost go down and '... of life' goes up as you travel West and South from the Beijing - Shanghai corridor.

Very interested in your views of Yantai now that you completed your year.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Employment

China has the third-largest economy after the European Union and the United States, and foreign trade accounts for a third of China’s GDP. The per capita income is $1,368 per year, though a typical college graduate earns about $500 per month. That doesn’t sound like much, but with a cost of living 50-75 percent lower than the U.S. it goes a long way.

Thirty years ago, the first expatriate workers in China were English teachers employed by the universities. Today teachers still make up a significant part of the expat workforce, but the opportunities for foreigners wanting to work in China have widened considerably thanks to the economic boom that Deng Xiaoping’s reforms in the 1970s triggered. If you have a good attitude and can maintain your sense of humor, working in China will give you the kind of cross-cultural experience that today’s globally minded employers value.

There are companies hiring English teachers:

www.cnliving.com/bbs/forum.php…

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China

Hi,

Might be a bit late, but having lived in Yantai, I suspect 5000 RMB isn't going to last that long.

I would expect that the Uni has given you an apartment, with contributions to energy costs, and internet.

Please let me know.

I was also at Yantai uni, I tought English on Friday afternoons.

Lovely people.

Lovely University.

And what a fantastic place.

Reply to: got a job at Ludong University in Yantai, China
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yantai