We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Calgary, Alberta...
4 posts
Save Topic
Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Hi,

I am looking to assist and international school in the area and I would like to get an idea of the climate, sites and general living conditions in the region. I know that there are lots of western businesses in the area along with a number of universities. Any input would be appreciated. Thx

24 replies to this topic
Canberra
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Hi sorry can't help, but would also be grateful for any info our son will be there from Feb-July, helping in a boarding school. Are you coming from the US? We are in Australia.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Climate-wise, Shandong, including Yantai is pretty decent weather-wise. Not super cold in winter, and not so hot in summer. You can search for average temps and rainfall online.

It's been a long time since I've been there, but don't expect it to be a very exciting place. It does benefit from being on the coast and having some beaches (not great for swimming, but still pleasant to visit). There are some parks and a few tourist attractions--the main one is the small castle at Penglai (not a castle in the western sense, but I don't really know what else to call it.)

There are bound to be some Western chain-type restaurants and such, and probably places catering to Korean expats and visitors, but I'd be surprised to find much beyond that and a small Western expat community. (Though it must be sufficient to support an international school.)

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Penglai
Penglai
Shandong, China
Qingdao, China
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

The winter in Yantai is very cold. It often snows and very big. The life is very comfortable. It takes little money to rent a house. Shopping and living are both easy and convenient. There are only one international school called Yew Wah International Education School of Yantai. You can visit its website to learn more: http://www.ywies-yt.com/en/.

Hope it will help you.

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Yantai
Level Contributor
66 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Yantai is a lovely city with nice people. As for climate, it is very cold in winter! The temperatures average about - 5 C to about 0 C in winter and it can be below zero for days at times. Sometimes you get stretches of temperatures below -10C for days, so don't let anyone tell you it's not cold here. Two good months are May and October and some of June and September are mild enough, but then it's very uncomfortable and humid in summer. You generally need constant heating or air conditioning for most of the year and that's the general opinion of most of my western friends. As for jobs, go nowhere that pays less than 5000 rmb/ month. China is not so cheap anymore! And make sure accommodation is free!

Edited: 07 April 2013, 12:09
Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Always windy at Qingtai and QIngdao.

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

I'm a local yantai resident, and now in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Any questions I can help u. When r u going? I will go back Yan tai on June.

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Cambridge, England...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

I'm curious too, I may have the opportunity to work there this year/next year.

I'm a bit confused as it looks pretty quiet and small from pictures and google earth, yet wikipedia says that it has a population of ~7million, which is the same as London (which seems massive)! It looks a lot quieter than other Chinese cities with smaller populations.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Yeah, it is an medium city in china, not those large one. But its environment is one of the best place in china! Although it's not big city, it ranked 20th position in china in GDP, which means good economic condition with good environment protection as well. And traffic is convenient, going to both Beijing and shanghai during 1 hour fly. Good seafood, fruits, grape wine here, and rich culture.

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Level Contributor
66 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

The population is large, but the area is quite spread out and the city center is rather small compared with other cities, However, you still have quite a big population density - take a local bus and you'll know what I mean! Still, you do have a range of restaurants, a few clubs and nice beaches to visit and the people here are warm and friendly and happy to help foreigners. If you're after a western style city with a vast range of cafe's, clubs and loud night life, you may need to look elsewhere like Shanghai, Beijing or maybe even Qingdao on a smaller scale. Personally, I like this place.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

I am planning to bring my family, consist of 3 young children and 1 grown up boy. I never stayed more than 2 weeks in a country with 4 seasons in a year. This will be my first time with my family. My work assignment will last probably 6~8 years. I need to look for international school for the kids, house nearby the school, and etc. How about driving in Yantai? Hope can gather some information about foreigners working and living in Yantai. How about cost of living, facilities (swimming, Gym, recreational clubs, and etc), road conditions, people around, security and etc.

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Reply to: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yantai
More Yantai Topics