We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Calgary, Alberta...
4 posts
Save Topic
Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Hi,

I am looking to assist and international school in the area and I would like to get an idea of the climate, sites and general living conditions in the region. I know that there are lots of western businesses in the area along with a number of universities. Any input would be appreciated. Thx

24 replies to this topic
Yantai
Level Contributor
66 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Yes, there is a school offering international education - Yew Wah International Education School of Yantai. It's in Kai Fa Qu to the west of the city and it has been growing in numbers. Cost of living is cheap if you live on food like vegetables, pork and rice, but foreign products can be very expensive. Accommodation is very reasonable and public transport like buses is very good and inexpensive. There are not many western style restaurants like Shanghai or Qingdao, but this is a smaller city without the same numbers of foreigners. There are quite a few gyms and again, they are very reasonably priced, but not many swimming venues - a couple of better hotels would have them. Security is excellent - feel very safe here! Watch the traffic though - crowded at times as more and more people can afford cars in this rapidly developing economy. As for Yantai people - wonderful! Warm and friendly. You can check for other things like weather and pollution on websites. It does have 4 very distinct seasons. Cold winters, perfect springs and autumns and hot summers. Still, it is more moderate than most other places in Asia. People from hot places need some time to adjust to the winter - though it's much warmer this year. Overall, I think Yantai is one of the best places in Asia. This is my opinion after 10 years.

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Asia
Asia
World
Nottingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

What's the air quality is like in Yantai? I'll be moving to China for quite a while and would not want to be forced to wear a mask to breathe clean air.

I've lived in a northern city where the air was not so clean in winter; snow turned grey from particulate matter.

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

hello,

how can i apply stay Yantai?

i am lived USA

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

#12 -- >>"What's the air quality is like in Yantai?"

Good fresh air. (It's on the north coast of the Shandong Peninsula.)

Edited: 15 December 2014, 07:46
Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Good Fresh air hmm?

check on http://aqicn.org/

Right now the whole area is off the charts.

AQI level 999 !!!

Do you realize what that means?

Who would be mad enough to willingly go live in a place like that??

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Is this chart accurate? thats seems incredible. Shangai is far far lower - surely this must be a mistake, no??

I am looking at working either here (Yantai) Dalian or Guangzhou - does anyone have any advice for me?

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Dalian
Dalian
Liaoning, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Lars - you seem to be very well informed about China, and the different areas - I would love to be able to speak with you about the pros and cons of living in different areas. It seems you are informed about several areas that I may be moving to.

What took to you to china, if I may ask?

Mentioned in this post
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

You would be well advised to seek out some expat blogs. Most of the people posting here have just visited for a few days as part of a holiday and won't be able to supply the sort of information you are after.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Thank you, I will seek out some blogs then! :)

Shenzhen, China
2 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area

Hi Merlin and Lars any, luck finding out more about Yantai? I am considered about the pollution as well!

Mentioned in this post
Yantai
Yantai
Shandong, China
Reply to: Climate and general living conditions in Yantai and area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yantai
More Yantai Topics