We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Going to Alvor in June (first time in Portugal.

I prefer ale but out of lagers I go for Stella, Kronenburg or San Miguel.

Does Alvor have anything similar or something else you would recommend?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
13 replies to this topic
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

super boch lovely

west sussex, UK
Level Contributor
214 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Super bock and sagres

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

You'll get San Miguel for a euro at Chill Out Bar. As an ale drinker I'm not a fan of the local lagers but Cristal is quite good. Bottle only. There is the The Bowery bar which serves Belgian Beer at good prices and also Brew dog beer too. It's at the Square. Also Beer & Co just opened up on the strip. Has an Algarve IPA on draft but looks pricey. €5.50 I think.

Mentioned in this post
Chill Out Bar
Chill Out Bar
277 Reviews
Alvor, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,484 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Most people I know prefer Cristal to the others and for some mysterious reason it is cheaper as well.

There are a number of craft beers making themselves known as the previous poster says, although I haven't heard of a draught Algarve IPA, more info needed!! But they do cost about double the lagers and I do wish they wouldn't serve them so cold! Nevertheless last night I got through far too many of a bottled beer called Sovina Helles while out and about / website http://www.sovina.pt/PT/

Always worth looking and you will find more and more supermarkets stocking these and other varieties.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

If you go to Portugal, you have to have a pint or two of Super Bock. It should be law. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it, roll on 6 weeks time!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Just remembered - Charlie's Bar at the top of the strip has Old Speckled Hen on keg, or at least they did last year and the intention was it was a permanent beer.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

My partner drinks the same and there are a few bars that do San Miguel and also Peroni - draft Sagres isn’t bad

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Ahhhh Speckled Hen.....one of my favourites. I will definitely try thr local stuff but nice to know that is available.

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Ooooh that feeling... you've checked in and dumped your bags... heading to your favourite bar for your first cold one to start off your hols. Fab!

I like Super Bock but we like craft ales too. The place that's now The Bowery had some great ones and it's a shame it closed but I believe the new place has a few to choose from if you fancy something other than lager.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you recommend a good beer/lager

Just look for craft beers, they are called "cerveja artesanal" and you can find loads of diferent ones.

Reply to: Can you recommend a good beer/lager
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations