We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle nesting/hatching

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle nesting/hatching

Hi I am planning to go to the east coast of CR in January.

I wonder if there is any beach around the area of Limon that I can see the turtles nesting, hatching or just seeing them on the beach?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

No turtle nesting in January that I know of. On the Caribbean July thru October are nesting season months. You posted this in the Nosara forum. If you are going to be in Nosara you might check Ostional for nesting turtles. good luck, it's hit or miss.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Nosara
Nosara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

Good answer by Inca....Ostional that by the way is very close from Nosara...is the ideal place to see turtles all year long...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

Hola from paradise! (of course Australia is a paradise too!)

The female turtles only come ashore to lay their eggs ... So you won't see them on any beach unless their nesting .. the best opportunity is in Ostional and during the months of Aug. Sept and Oct. when there is the arribada ... (the great coming) it lasts only 4 days each month and then the eggs take 50 - 58 days to hatch...

They do have at least one turtle come ashore every day of the year according to the official guides, but the beach is 7 KM long and the lone turtle can come ashore on any part of the beach any time from sunset to sunrise, making it hard to ever know where and when to look when the arribada isn't occurring... I went last year for both the nesting and hatching and again this year a couple weeks ago for another nesting and I'm looking forward to the hatchings in a few more weeks and will go back for that.

If you can't plan on seeing then when you're here this year, I would suggest to plan another trip next year to the Nosara / Ostional area and contact the guide association to know when the arribada is expected to start.

https:/…Asociacion.Guias.Ostional is their link on facebook and it is updated quite often with photos and videos.

pura vida and enjoy,

Randy

Edited: 30 August 2014, 09:11
Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

Good answer by Inca....Ostional that by the way is very close from Nosara...is the ideal place to see turtles all year long...

A short clarification ...any body that knows basics about tuttles we all know that arrivals at Ostional beach ...are all year long...I just like to avoid confusion ...or wrong advice..

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

There is turtle nesting on the Caribbean (east) coast, but not that time of year. Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

the arribadas are not all year long ...

if you want information from the REAL EXPERTS

see the link below....

https:/…Asociacion.Guias.Ostional

They are the ones who take you to the beach and guide you to PROTECT the turtles ...

pura vida and enjoy!

Randy

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

If any body really looking for the correct information just check with MINAET..they have the correct answer…In my more than 50 years visiting Samara Nosara and Ostional…I have had learned that yes turtles all year long any way…please enjoy our turtles…

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,348 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Nosara
Nosara
Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

yes at least ONE turtle come ashore EVERY night as I had previously stated ... check with the folks who live and work there ... below in english and spanish ...

https:/…Asociacion.Guias.Ostional

Asociacion de Guias Locales de Ostional(AGLO)Costa Rica

August 25

Buenas, queremos anunciar que la arribada de Agosto ya terminó! Ahora esperamos la próxima para el 10 de Septiembre en adelante. Preparen sus maletas desde ahora, que esperamos sea una de las mas grandes del año.

Good, we want to announce that the arribada August has already finished! We now hope the next to the events of 10 September in the future. Prepare their bags from now, which we hope will be one of the greatest of the year.

Pura vida and enjoy,

Randy

Edited: 30 August 2014, 10:35
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

Good to know that a least one turtle at night is part of a nice arrival..for me…one a night every day of the month and 12 months that means…all year long..and please even check that some nights maybe hundreds pf them…!!

Anybody can stop at Minaet in Santa Cruz… and ask the real experts…no just link people…they happily will answer any question…I just wake up Lic. Nelson Marin…chief for Minaet in that area…and he reconfirm my advice…turtles at Ostional all year long…more verification stop by his office at MINAET…he just toll me he will be very happy to give you all the information you may need regarding Ostional…

Love my country way to much…turtles please keep coming every night at Ostional…he even mention about a proyect they are working there to open a large volunteer center…since so many people love to go there every night of the year...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle nesting/hatching

exactly the information I posted ... the beach is 7KM long and the one turtle may come ashore any time on any part of the beach .. the one real chance of actually seeing a turtle nesting is during the arribada ... and the volunteer organization already exists

https:/…info has their basic what they are about info and contact information

pura vida and enjoy tortugas!

Randy

Get answers to your questions about Nosara