We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

Nosara, Costa Rica
8 posts
Save Topic

We just discovered that references to Nosara Wildlife Refuge were still on our web site and have requested their immediate removal. We are no longer a part of Nosara Wildlife Rescue.

We hope that you can assist us with our listing request for Nosara Refuge for Wildlife on TripAdvisor. Probably it is best to give a little history first to help you understand why this communication is necessary.

The legal name of Nosara Refuge for Wildlife is Refugio Animales de Nosara S.A. We operate and do business under the name Nosara Refuge for Wildlife, as the majority of our visitors are English speakers. We are located in Nosara, Costa Rica in the province of Guanacaste and have been a working wildlife rescue center since March of 1999. We rescue all injured, orphaned and abandoned wildlife with the goal of reintroducing all back into the jungle. We operate under the supervision of and with the approval of the Costa Rican Government.

In 2010 we initiated a community and public education program to assist us in our efforts to reduce the frequency of wildlife injuries as a result of population growth and development in the area. Development here means the expansion of the electrical power distribution system and private homes with dogs, the two primary causes of injury and death to local wildlife.

The educational program has had excellent results in the local community and become very popular with the visiting public. The program has developed into one of the primary sources of income to the Refuge to support our primary emergency response, rehabilitation and infant Howler Monkey Nursery.

At the Nosara Refuge for Wildlife, we focus on Emergency Response, Rehabilitation of injured wildlife and longer term care of the abandoned or orphaned young animals, principally young Howler Monkeys. We care for the wildlife until they are physically healthy, reach an age where they can be released to the wild or in the case of the young Howler Monkeys at an age of 18 to 24 months we transfer them to SIBU Sanctuary where they undergo a program of about 12 – 18 months to prepare them for reintroduction to the jungle.

Nosara Refuge for Wildlife and SIBU Sanctuary are completely separate properties, companies and not related in any business fashion, economic or other. We do share a common goal of rescuing, rehabilitating and returning wildlife to their natural environment.

SIBU Sanctuary opened its facilities and began to receive transferred wildlife from the Refuge in I believe 2009. In 2010 or 2011 Steve and Vicki Coan without our knowledge or consent initiated a web site and TripAdvisor listing under the name of Nosara Wildlife Rescue as a way to promote both of our public education programs and encourage visitors to the two programs. Unfortunately they have totally controlled both of these sites not allowing us direct access to either. We have repeatedly requested access to the TripAdvisor listing so we would be able to directly respond to the comments and remarks by our visitors on TripAdvisor. We feel it is important to correct inaccurate information when necessary but also to respond in a positive way to good listings.

The current TripAdvisor listing for Nosara Wildlife Refuge has received excellent reviews, certificates of Excellence the past 4 years and I believe is currently ranked #1 in the Nosara area for activities. This is excellent for those that arrive in Nosara and are able to find us, unfortunately by using the name Nosara Wildlife Rescue, a non-existent business with no storefront or actual location, many people never find us and are frustrated. Representing Nosara Refuge for Wildlife, we feel that this listing does not meet the needs or best interests of the public or of the Nosara Refuge for Wildlife and have removed the TripAdvisor logo and references from our web site www.RefugeforWildlife.com . Our new visitor season begins in November and we would like to have this resolved before then and restore the TripAdvisor identification to our web site under our correct name.

If we follow the guidelines that I have read about business affiliation with TripAdvisor it appears that all listings must have a business location and storefront, open and available to the public. Nosara Wildlife Rescue it appears does not qualify as it is not an actual company or business and does not have a location for the public to visit. It was an umbrella name created initially to conduct joint fundraising events.

The existing listing indicates approximately 96 total reviews. Most people believe that these 96 reviews relate to SIBU Sanctuary. With Steve Coan and Sibu Sanctuary dominating the site with their personal information we have had a constant problem explaining to the public that we actually represent about 50% of all the reviews. If you read these reviews you will find that they fall into two groups. Refuge for Wildlife reviews will reference the Refuge or Brenda while SIBU Sanctuary reviews will reference Steve, Vicki or the Sanctuary. I think you will find that there is a fairly equal split with about 50% for each location. We realize that making any change to this listing will have an initial negative impact on our TripAdvisor ranking but feel we need to resolve this for the longer term.

Both of these programs are excellent and have received a very favorable response from the public as is represented by the current ranking of Nosara Wildlife Rescue. Both deserve to be well presented on TripAdvisor, but we believe they should be represented correctly as Nosara Refuge for Wildlife and Nosara SIBU Sanctuary separately and independently.

Please review our current application for a listing by Nosara Refuge for Wildlife and we hope for a positive decision and your approval. We will necessarily continue to pursue this until it has been resolved to your and our satisfaction.

Thank you

Brenda Sue Bombard

Director/ CEO

Refugio Animales de Nosara S.A.

dba Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

www.RefugeforWildlife.com

Brenda@RefugeforWildlife.com

Tel 011 506 2682-5049

Cell 011 506 8824-3323

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Nosara Refuge for...
142 Reviews
Nosara, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

OK. It makes sense, and also it did increase my knowledge. But how do you think we could help you?!

Anyway, I wish you good luck and many satisfied visitors (and even more healthy rescued animals released into wild).

Nosara, Costa Rica
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

Hoping that TripAdvisors help us fix the problem. Ever try to contact them and actually talk to a human. They told me to post the issue here if I wanted it fixed so here it is.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

I think the support forum might be a better place to post this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvi…

Thank you for the good work you're doing.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

Hi R B,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post this information in the Nosara forum. It is highly unfortunate to read about the confusion between the two sanctuaries. This is a situation that must be rectified at once for the sake of the animals if nothing else. Any community is lucky to have one animal rehabilitation facility. Nosara is blessed with two, yet it seems no one knows about it.

What makes this the saddest, is that it sounds like SIBU sanctuary wants to keep the tourist dollars all to themselves. That's simply my personal opinion. If that's true, it is very short sighted. Most tourists, like me, are looking for things to do in Nosara and would gladly go on a tour of both facilities. Most tourists are there to see and help the wildlife. Touring a wildlife rehab facility is (usually) a guaranteed way of seeing wildlife up close while supporting the good work of the facility with your tourist dollars.

I just returned from a trip to the Nicoya Penninsula and if I had know about the Nosara Refuge for Wildlife I can guarantee it would have been my first stop. Instead, the only refuge I heard of was SIBU. This is just my opinion, but as a tourist I was disappointed in my tour at SIBU. I wanted to be fully educated about what was going on in Costa Rica with the lack of insulated power lines, where and why are wildlife being electrocuted, what is being done to stop it and what small things, if any, could I do to help. I wanted to learn about the background of the monkeys at the sanctuary. I felt there was a lot of information being told to me, but much of it was about plants and soil with little opportunity for the tourist to ask questions and gear the tour toward their interests. Still, despite the awkwardness of the tour, it was abundantly clear that SIBU does very good things for wildlife.

It doesn't sound like there's a snowball's chance in heck of this happening, but may I suggest that both SIBU and the Nosara Refuge for Wildlife would get more customers if they would advertise each other? For example, after my tour at SIBU, the owners could have passed out a card for Nosara Refuge for Wildlife. I had already toured SIBU and given them my money, so there would be no loss to SIBU, only gain to Nosara Refuge for Wildlife if I went on their tour next. Likewise, Nosara Refuge for Wildlife could do the same.

Thank you again for the post. I look forward to visiting Nosara Refuge for Wildlife on my next trip to Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Nosara Refuge for...
142 Reviews
Nosara, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nosara, Costa Rica
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

It looks like TripAdvisor read the forum and has finally given us our TripAdvisor listing. Thankfully resolved. I do believe that it was a result of the support we received here on the forum.

Thank you all for your support and hope to see you hare at the Refuge sometime soon.

Brenda Sue and the Monkeys

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

That's all a bit confusing, glad you got it all worked out.

7. Re: Nosara Refuge for Wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2015, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Nosara