We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angaston or Tanunda?

Kilcoy, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Angaston or Tanunda?

Hi everyone.

My wife and I are planning on spending 3 nights in the Barossa as part of a longer South Australia/Victoria trip in late September 2018. We will be doing some wine tasting and general sight seeing. I am looking at the towns as Angaston or Tanunda for our stay. Does anyone have any tips on which would be a better destination? They both seem pretty quiet and laid back which is what we like.

Thanks for your help.

Jacob's Creek
Wine Tours & Tastings
Be Consumed Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Barossa Exclusive Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angaston or Tanunda?

Tanunda has more restaurants and is bigger so more options at night although still relatively quiet as you said. IMO it is more central.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angaston or Tanunda?

Tanunda as per post #1

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
724 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angaston or Tanunda?

Hi!

My wife and I stayed in Tanunda a few years ago and enjoyed it. It has a 'SA small country town' vibe with all the usual amenities &services

We visited Angaston on the same trip and really enjoyed the 'village' atmosphere. 'Quaint' is the word I'd use to describe Angaston...tree-lined main street, small private shops, cafes etc, cute 'pocket parks' (not as many 'commercial' shops and services as in Tanunda).

Consider visiting the Angaston Market on the 2nd Sunday of the month. Angaston is also 'close' to Eden and Flaxman Valley's (other grape growing and winery regions).

I'd consider finding some accommodation you really like the sound of and using that as the basis for where you'll stay. The drive from Tanunda to Angaston is about 15 mins so nothing is 'very far' away.

Hope that helps...let us know if we can give you other ideas for the other parts of your trip!

Cheers!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angaston or Tanunda?

We visited Tanunda over Christmas and fell in love with it. It's a charming little town with a lovley, bustling feel to it and a good selection of cafes and shops. We have family who live there but we hadn't visited before and felt that they'd undersold it to us......it was much nicer than we expected. We'll definitely base ourselves here rather than in Adelaide on our next visit.

Reply to: Angaston or Tanunda?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted