We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Rockies

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
3 weeks in Rockies

So planning on July/August 2019 as have to travel in school holidays. We’re a family of 5, daughters will be 10,12 & 14 but good hikers (have done 16 mike day hikes with school), so not worrried about them getting around. Originally planned to travel from Vancouver to the Rockies but after reading posts on the forums rethought our trip. Primarily we want to spend it in the Rockies and travelling across makes it all a bit rushed. So now we’ll have a full 3 weeks in the Rockies and plan to fly in and out of Calgary from the UK. Trying to work out the optimum times to spend in the different areas. Am thinking of possibly Canmore over Banff as it’s cheaper and mainly looking for self catering. Was thinking of Golden over Lake Louise but have been put off after reading peoples comments and sounds a bit of a trek into the park each day. My husband and I travelled through about 20 years ago so we know some areas we want to take our daughters but I’m sure there’s loads we didn’t see. I’m not sure we did much in Yoho. I’m also don’t know what to do closer around Jasper as I do Banff. Also anyone recommend any horse riding or white water rafting in the area.

3 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,271 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: 3 weeks in Rockies

hi

with 3 weeks have a look at including the Royal Tyrell museum in Drumheller then relocating to Brooks to hike in the Dinosaur Prov. Park and, on the way back to Calgary look at detour to Vulcan for star trek .

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: 3 weeks in Rockies

You definitely want to drive up to Jasper, the highway between Lake Louise and Jasper (Icefields Parkway) has been described by National Geographic as one of the most beautiful drives in the world. So spend a day driving up there, then a few days in Jasper and then drive back down to see it the second time.

Cbaarch's suggestion of including Drumheller and the Tyrell museum is a great one.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,723 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: 3 weeks in Rockies

Most people aim for about a week in the Rockies themselves with 3-4 nights in each of Banff and Jasper. Your time span of 3 weeks is much slower than what is typical, so what is it about how you travel and what you do that makes you feel that you want 3 weeks in the Rockies? If we understand your travel objectives, we can give you good advice. Otherwise, you may get advice that doesn't fit with what you want.

Reply to: 3 weeks in Rockies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted