We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Canada

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
New to Canada

Hi, I will be staying in Canmore for about 10 days in August 2019 .Yes I know it's ages away :0)

I've chosen ten days to try and limit spending, as there will be a group of five of us and I will probably be paying most of the bills!

We need to stay in this area as we have other family members that will be staying nearby.

I'm just wondering if 10 days is long enough/ too long in one place and that we can find enough different activities to do. Things I have thought of so far are hiking, boating, a trip to Calgary etc ( probably on the way back to the airport).

Any ideas would be appreciated especially if it's a bit different/unusual. We will have a hire car and I'm happy to drive for a few hours, but I would like to get back to Canmore the same day.

Also what kind of budget would I need for food. Just normal restaurants, nothing too fancy.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
17 replies to this topic
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,963 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Canada

While I think you could spend 10 days based in Canmore, you will be missing out on other things by doing so. I would seriously recommend spending at least three days in Jasper.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Munich
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Canada

Frommy is right. There is so much to see that it would be a shame only to stay in Canmore.

Beate

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Canada

Yes, staying in Canmore you can only visit a portion of the stunning Rocky Mountains.

Driving the Icefields Parkway to Jasper and Banff is highly recommended. It’s a UNESCO site. The pristine landscape and views are incredible.

The rental car won’t cost any more, and you will already have paid the National Park Pass, so start looking now for suitable accomodation in Jasper.

Better to stay only 8 nights in Canada but to see both parks if money is that much of an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,490 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
Canada
Canada
North America
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,074 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Canada

Hi Quagswag;

Since March 2016, Canada has had an entry requirement known as the “Electronic Travel Authorization”(eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa.

1) ONLY use the official Government of Canada website.

www.Canada.ca/eTA

2) Apply for an eTA as early as possible.

3) Wait to make any non-refundable purchases (flights, accommodations, etc) until *after* your eTA has been approved.

4) The eTA is NOT a Visa. It is only authorization to board a plane to Canada.

5) Without a valid eTA, you WILL be denied boarding by the airline.

Your eTA will remain valid for a period of 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,671 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Canada

Well first of all, I completely support putting in a night or two up in Jasper as well. I think you can have a pretty interesting vacation looking at up to 3 hrs one way in various directions out from Canmore, but its a terrible shame to be so close to Jasper and not go.

Here's a few spur trips I might consider:

https://goo.gl/maps/DfFJ5PczJFv

https://goo.gl/maps/tE5deGXJFuS2

https://goo.gl/maps/3F4LY468FVL2

https://goo.gl/maps/1XBa3cQZikJ2

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Canmore
Canmore
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
672 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Canada

+1000 to trying to find time to make it up to Jasper. I'd hate for you to be so close and not take the time.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Canada

Thanks for all your replies so far. I think I'll keep the 10 days in Canmore, but then also book a couple of days in Jasper in between. Then if I can't find anywhere I still have my Canmore base. If all else fails I'll just have a four hour drive each way. :0)

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Jasper
Jasper
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Canada

It’s not a 4 hour drive each way. Wheels turning driving time is s 4 hours but there are so many stops along the way that it takes a full day to drive ea h direction. It’s definitely NOT a possible day trip.

So now you are thinking if wasting money by having 2 accomodations booked for a few nights. Why not stay in Canmore 4 nights, Check out, stay in Jasper 3 nights and then return to Field for 2 nights and then Calgary for your last night?

This would give you a well rounded look at most of the main areas.

A little background.

Banff National Patk covers more than 6600 sq km. Banff is the town within the borders of the park. Lake Louise is a village writhing Banff National Park.

Yoho National Park covers more than 1300 sq km. Field is the town within the boundaries of the Yoho National Park.

Jasper National Park covers over 10,000 sq km, Jasper is the town within its borders.

As you can see, those 3 National Rocky Mountain Parks ( and there are more) cover nearly 20,000 sq km of space. You are planning on staying outside any National Park, and hoping yo use it as a base. It’s just not geographically possible. Unless you are content with only a partial experience. A little like touring the UK and not seeing England.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 00:40
Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Jasper
Jasper
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Banff Rocky Mountain...
1,075 Reviews
Banff, Canada
UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Canada

Thanks that'll be why the post is called New to Canada :0)

I'll have another look at the accommodation

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
646 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Canada

Even with all 10 days based in Canmore, I'd say you can very easily see and enjoy lots of what the area has to offer. Sure, some days there will be a bit of an earlier start, or a longer drive, but really, except for going to Jasper, there is no reason why you have to move accommodations if you don't want to. But, you could drive part way up the Icefields Parkway at least to the Athabasca Glacier -- there is lots to see along the way even just to there. Sometimes you just can't do it all on your vacation. Better to enjoy what you can do, or what you want to do rather than stress about everything you might be "missing".

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Jasper
Jasper
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,490 Reviews
Athabasca Glacier