We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

Hello,

I was born in Australia to lebanese parents and have thus acquired the Lebanese citizenship when I was young. I am also an Australian citizen making me a dual citizen. However I only have an Australian passport.

I am very interested in partaking in the Arabic summer program for diaspora students in Birzeit University in Ramallah. However, when I emailed them with information about myself and asking for brochures and the application information, they let me know that I might not be allowed through the Israeli check points because of my lebanese heritage. I also have an arab first name and last name.

My question is: because I have an Australian passport, will Israeli soldiers actually know that I am a lebanese citizen? Will I have any troubles at the checkpoints?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Ramallah
Ramallah
Binyamin Region, Palestinian Territories
5 replies to this topic
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

Questions of this nature come up quite frequently on the Israeli forum. The reason being that all the borders and check points are controlled by Israel. You'll get a better and more complete answer over there.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

<< is: because I have an Australian passport, will Israeli soldiers actually know that I am a lebanese citizen?>>

That's not what Israeli soldiers or police officers do, or even bother, at all!

Checkpoints are for security. As long as you don't carry arms or with intentions of disrupting the peace, and you carry valid documents (passport and a visa to Israel - which you get at the airport) you would be waived through.

They only place you'd be asked questions is upon entry to Israel. Israel doesn't deny entry by principle to Lebanese citizens (while btw Lebanon does deny Israelis) - but you might be questioned by security longer than others, they would want to be sure you're here for peaceful purposes. If you are a genuine tourist - no problem, just answer their questions honestly and calmly (no matter how repetitive the questions would seem to be) and you would be let into the country.

Using your Australian passport you are eligible (pending security check) for a 3-month tourism visa upon entry. You must exit the Israeli borders (airport or land borders with Jordan or Egypt) no later than your visa expiry date.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
883 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

" If you are a genuine tourist - no problem,......."

----------------------------------------------------------

The potential problem is that he is not a 'genuine tourist'. He is going to Birzeit U,, not exactly an Israel-friendly institution. :) That, added to the fact that in all likelihood his Lebanese background will be discovered because of his Arab name, makes for a very real possibility that he would be denied entry to Israel. OTOH, once in Israel, there should be absolutely no problem going to the West Bank - that is, passing through checkpoints.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 18:53
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
West Bank
West Bank
Palestinian Territories
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

Ramot, if he is not a genuine tourist than security/immigration will figure that out and deny entry. It is the policy of those of us writing on the forum to take what people say at face value. None of us are security personnel, and none of us are willing to tell someone they are lying. (nor are any of us saying anything that would help someone successfully lie to security or immigration personnel)

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
883 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen

@rdglady

"....to take what people say at face value....."

That is exactly what I'm doing! He himself admits that the purpose of his trip is to attend a seminar/course for diaspora Arab students at Birzeit U. That is definitely NOT the itinerary of a 'genuine tourist'. That said, that certainly doesn't mean that he is a troublemaker or other type of 'persona non grata'. In fact, I assume that he is an innocent student just wanting to further investigate his Arab roots. But a 'genuine tourist' he is not.

Reply to: Visiting Ramallah as a Lebanese citizen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palestinian Territories