We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos vs. Santorini

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Topic
Mykonos vs. Santorini

Wanted advice on which island (Santorini or Mykonos)is better for a short 2 day visit in 2nd week of November. We enjoy the beach, food and wine. Due to time limitations won't be able to spend more time in either of the islands. Thanks in advance for feedback from avid travelers.

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

It won't be warm enough in November to do the beaches. If beaches were a consideration you would pick Mykonos for sure. Without that, you are down to the islands and the towns. Santorini is visually stunning. If you enjoy ancient ruins, Delos is an easy day trip from Mykonos. For the towns, Mykonos town is the most cosmopolitan town in the Cyclades. On Santorini, the main town (Thira) is a bit gritty, but Oia is a delightful small town full of shops and art galleries. It's small, but very charming. Based on the time of year and your interests, I would probably pick Santorini.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
244 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

I am by far no expert but I just spent 3 days in Santorini and am now in Mykonos for 5 days ( I sound like a Holiday Inn Express commercial for those in the US).

I agree with the above post. If it was great weather and you wanted beaches then Mykonos is great, if not down right perfect (November will be off season so do not plan on beaches). Yesterday I was at Elias and Paradise and today at Ornos. The pictures I thought of and saw of the perfect horseshoe beaches are here in Mykonos but for such a short visit and not beach weather, I would say go to Santorini and make your way from Fira to Oia one way or another (walk, moped, car, taxi, quad) and just enjoy the views. By far some of the most spectacular you will see.

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

Thank you so much for your time, it really does help us make a decision.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,289 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

I just left Mykonos today and was in Santorini just before. Personally I enjoyed Santorini more. I have the impression that Mykonos is more of a party town. I did not find the beaches superior to what we had in Santorini (although this will be irrelevant in November).

I have the impression that the download of tourists from the cruise ships has more impact in Mykonos. The good restaurants in Mykonos were better than the good restaurants in Santorini.

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

Thank you so much for your invaluable suggestions.

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

Thank you so much for your invaluable suggestions. We have made up pour minds and think we will plan these Islands in a better month, November does not seem that appropriate.

Thank you!

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

That was a very wise decision, Janubi. If you're going to the Greek islands for the first time you should give them the chance of showing you their best side...and that necessarily involves beach life and wonderful weather. There is a much better chance of finding that between May and October, though, with luck, at times in late April and early November. August weather is beautiful, but PACKED with tourists.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

Hey and welcome Janubi D:) Although a couple of days (overnight?) is extremely short, if you want to visit an isle in November, you may want to consider an isle further South..like Rhodes or Crete?! Both maintain a good year round population and you may even get a swim in! Consider flying to Chania in Crete..I managed to hit some incredibly hot weather in Nov one year..in the 80's and did get a swim in..of course, no guarantees, but an option for you if an isle is on your 'must do' list:) On the other hand, you can always play it by ear while there..see how the weather goes..and possibly head out to one of the nearby isles for the day?! Aegina, Hydra and Poros and close by and easily doable in a day..bookable last minute:) Happy planning and EnjoY!

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

Are you travelling from Piraeus ? if so, bear in mind that Mykonos is closer. Both islands have their special charms. As Litsa rightly points out you could do a day cruise visiting Aegina, Hydra and Poros. You can also visit Aegina and Angkistri for a couple of days, both of which are close to Piraeus requiring little travel time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mykonos vs. Santorini

Hey AjarnAndy:) Although there is a 1 day 3 isle cruise that includes all 3 isles, I meant to take a regular ferry to just one of the isles in order to get a full day in and get to explore! I've done the 1 day cruise and although it's OK, doesn't leave much time for each isle IMO..pretty rushed and more of a 'photo opp' than anything else really;) FWIW, this is a really tough call..with only a couple of days and coming the distance, Id be hard pressed NOT to recc Santorini even if you won't get the beach time, you can certainly visit them if you so choose..but chances are there won't be much there since it's seasonal so the cafes, tavernas, shops, etc. that line the beachfronts will be closed! Nonetheless, for an overnight, you can't beat those 'once in lifetime' views from on high;) There are some year round accommodations in the Capital at Fira so it's definitely an option! Keep enjoyin' all!