We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

4 posts
Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

Hi , First time abroad with the family, staying in Golden Villas in Stoupa from the 14th for a week

I was wondering about drinking the local water, and any other advice for first timers!

Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

We don't drink the tap water but we fill empty bottles from taps which are in the walls of the roads and tracks around Stoupa.

We have gone to Stoupa for the last 11 years and always fill empty bottles. The water is from the mountains and is great, all our friends who stay in Stoupa do the same and the locals do as well.

I have never heard of anyone being ill from drinking it.

When are you going to Stoupa?

Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

As for advice for a first timer, you will have a great time.

The food, the beaches, mountain scenery and the people of Stoupa are all amazing. Eating out is cheap but the food is some of the best in Greece.

Don't worry about anything apart from booking your next trip there.

We used to travel all over Greece, but there's nowhere like Stoupa and we have lots of Greek friends there and the people who stay in our apartments 50% of them go every year so it has a very good social scene.

Stoupa is a bit like going back in time in Greece, there's never any trouble at all everyone always has a great time, that's why so many people return each year.

Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

Sorry your going from the 14th, we arrive that day. See you in the Akrigali taverna at 9.00pm you can't miss me I will have a face like a Cheshire cat drinking a large mythos beer.

PS the Akrigali is the best taverna, when looking out to see from Stoupa main beach it's on the extreme left of the beach looking over the sea next to the little harbour.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

Be careful if there are any cold bugs about went to Stoupa one year every one seemed to be coughing and sneezing ,

Didn't think carried on using the taps by second week got a dreadful chest infection.(Problem is people out walking refill drinking bottles )

This was before any first aid/ chemist in Stoupa husband had to walk the Ag Nic path which was pretty rough in those days (early 90s ) to the chemist were he did a great impression of a chest infection and purchased some really good cough syrup and a nasal spray that is only on prescription over here.

Holiday saved felt well enough to go on a long walk couple of days later all that went wrong was I coughed, Sneezed and Peed at the same time in an olive grove,

Loose shorts thank god it shot down my leg finished walk Commando.

If any one find pink m+s knickers out walking they belong to me ;)

Edited: 21 July 2016, 21:25
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,575 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

lol,

you have more chance of recovering them than my lost 10€ note Sonia

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

Very handy things M +S knickers waded through a river that met the sea took them off to dry our feet as no towel mind you I did take those with me

SoniaB

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
800 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

Lol Sonia! Cant' really see the connection between the spring water and your chest infection though !

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

May be i was wrong but surely if you refill a bottle you have drank from but not washed Germs will end up on the tap.

Probably wrong but that was my un scientific theory at the time - chest infection blame the tap - upset tummy blame the food brits abroad

Thinking about it probably just bad luck

Recently started posting on TA joined ages ago but never posted have to say it brings back the memory's,

SoniaB

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,983 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

Tap water in Greece is as safe as at home. However the different mineral content can cause slight upsets if you drink a lot or are particularly sensitive. I stick to bottled water for drinking, which is very cheap in Greece, but don't go overboard & brush teeth, wash fruit etc under the tap. In a taverna if they bring you a jug of iced water you can always ask instead for a bottle. But check it is an unbroken seal. And ice will be made with tap water so just be aware.

If I was drinking from or filling a bottle from a public water tap I would run the water first & swish it around the tap with my hands.

Edited: 22 July 2016, 00:50
Coventry, England...
Level Contributor
273 posts
84 reviews
10. Re: Can you drink tapwater and any other advice for first timer!

We have been going for some years and always drink the spring water from the taps dotted around. I think it tastes better than the bottled. We fill bottles, pop in fridge, sorted.

Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations