We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belitung - August

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 posts
Save Topic
Belitung - August

Hi... need some advises.

Planned to come in August to Belitung.

2 pax.

Few questions:

- is it better to rent a car or a motorbike, I feel like I want to just take motorbike since we can have flexibility time and place rather to join travel agent, but I’m not sure if we can access all tourism spots by motorbike there, can’t we?

- which area should we stay

- if we arrange our own itinerary, how to get snorkeling service there and how much? Can we book it online?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
1. Re: Belitung - August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 21:25
Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:25

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belitung - August

Hi Launoar,

My recommendation is to rent a car. You can self drive if you have an International Driving Permit as I did during my last trip. Traffic on Belitung Island is very light and people drive more sensibly than in other parts of Indonesia, so it is quite easy. I don't recommend taking a guide or a driver because the island is very easy to navigate, not many roads and easy if you have google maps App.

I stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott in Tanjung Pandan, the hotel is about a year old and is located just outside the main town of Tanjung Pandan and on the main coastal road north which takes you to both Tanjung Binga (Fisherman's village) and Tanjung Kelayan which is where you will take your boat for island hopping and snorkeling. You could also stay near Tanjung Kelayang but I found that area a bit isolated and prefer being closer to the main town of Tanjung Pandan where you can explore and see many things.

Yes you can book both the car hire (self drive) or with driver, and the boat for island hopping online as I did. I paid Rp450k for the island hopping which takes you to most of the islands and lasts about 8 hours. Many companies charge about Rp500k. They also charge a bit extra for the life vest and snorkel and mask, so better that you bring your own gear. There are several places where you can snorkel but I preferred it just nearby Lengkuas Island, that's the island with the white lighthouse.

To get from the Fairfield by Marriott to Tanjung Kelayang Beach is a 30 minute drive, and I did the trip many times and rarely saw any cars on the road, that is how easy and safe it is to drive on Belitung.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Belitung Island
Belitung Island
Bangka Belitung Islands, Indonesia
Tanjung Pandan
Tanjung Pandan
Belitung Island, Indonesia
Lengkuas Island
Lengkuas Island
595 Reviews
Tanjung Kelayang Beach
Tanjung Kelayang Beach
202 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
145 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belitung - August

Hi Launoar,

To get more comfortable travel, you can get car rental. To explore a whole Belitung takes long time so it is more suitable to use car. In my last Belitung visit, I stay at Tanjung Pandan and stay at seaside hotel so you can enjoy the beach every time you want. Snorkeling at Pulau Lengkuas is good. The water is clean. You can rent snorkeling kit there, I rent it directly on the spot. Beside that you can go to the lighthouse * last information, you cant go upstairs to lighthouse anymore or feeding turtle at turtle conservation. Belitung is beautiful island. Enjoy it :)

* ps: If I can give you suggestion, long weekend at around independence day (August 17th) will make Belitung more crowded. Be ready :) or you ca schedule your trip to avoid long weekend holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Belitung Island
Belitung Island
Tanjung Pandan
Tanjung Pandan
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Belitung - August

Thank you very much. How many days we should allocate to be able to explore BITUNG with relax and flexible time but don’t want to get bore also.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Belitung - August

Hi Riza... many thanks before.

Can I go directly to Lengkuas and also directly join any group of people there? For me it should be okay if we can join other people and it will save more budget. How much do I need to prepare for 1 pax to join the snorkeling session and island hopping?

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belitung - August

If you join another group, the other visitors will definitely want to do the island hopping tour and not only visit Lengkuas Island. Lengkuas Island is the furthest away of about 5 or 6 islands that are usually included in the island hopping tour.

If you only want to visit Lengkuas Island then you'll need to hire the boat yourself. As mentioned above, it should cost you Rp450k upwards. The standard rate is around Rp500k for 8 hours. That cost is for the boat and driver, not per person. There is no extra cost for the snorkeling. But they will charge you extra if you use their equipment. I recommend bringing your own snorkel and mask.

I'd say 3 to 4 days is plenty of time to explore the main sites on the island. The more interesting part of the island is on the west and northwest sides. The west coast is quite far and is not as interesting and does not have the famous granite rocks in the sea and beaches as the northeast coast does. I spent 3 1/2 days exploring the below places but did not venture over to the east coast.

https:/…g668845

https:/…g2301790

https:/…g3737841

Be sure to enjoy Belitung Islands amazing seafood and Kong Djie Coffee Houses.

Mentioned in this post
Lengkuas Island
Lengkuas Island
595 Reviews
Belitung Island
Belitung Island
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Belitung - August

Thank you so much Survingwild.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
145 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belitung - August

Hi Launoar,

You're welcome! I couldn't agree more. Everything is explained completely and well by SurfingWild :)

The google as I remember is around 15-20K IDR for rent on the spot. But it is good if you have your own and your 'boat captain' will not require you to rent if you have one.

So, enjoy Belitung pal :)

Mentioned in this post
Belitung Island
Belitung Island
Reply to: Belitung - August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belitung Island