We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Anyone have any information on the number of cruise ships that are scheduled to go ashore on Pitcairn Island that are actually successful at getting ashore? I've booked a very expensive cruise and would cancel if the chances are actually slim to nil. Thanks for any info.

50 replies to this topic
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
11. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Spectacular info, Pausanias, thank you. Will look into these in the future.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
103 reviews
81 helpful votes
12. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

We were on the Oceania Marina that sailed around Pitcairn Island in April 2014. The Pitcairn residents came abord our ship to trade for food and buy stuff at the ship's store. They sold their handicraft and stamps on board. We were told that this year there have been 18 ships sailing to Pitcairn and only one that had zodiacs which were able to go ashore. We were also told that they plan to build a new pier on the other side of the island so that tenders can dock - to be done fall 2014.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
13. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Hi Joann, could you please let me know if you were able to go ashore on Easter Island from Marina? We are looking for the same route it makes next year, but as tendering is not always successful to Easter Island, we are very hesitant to book the cruise. Many thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
103 reviews
81 helpful votes
14. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Hi, would like to talk to you separately, not sure how to do that.

This cruise on Marina was fabulous. We highly recommend it.

Easter island has more docks for tenders than Pitcarin

While there may be really bad weather that prevents tendering, we thought that at that time of year April, it would be more likely to be nice. We had perfect weather at Easter Island.

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
15. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

What happened to my post re Pitcairn Island???

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
16. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

I am not sure what happened to your post (sorry about that! :o) BUT I am going soon to a cruise with Hapag Lloyd that's going to Pitcairn! They have zodiacs and I have confirmation that they plan to bring passangers ashore, so I cross fingers that weather will be on my side! :)

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
17. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Hello folks,we just returned recently from a Trip on Oceana's MARINA...Tahiti,Bora Bora,Fakarava,Pitcairn Island,Easter Island on to Lima and flew home.My whole purpose was to visit and go ashore Pitcairn Island as I've had this fantasy since seeing Brando's ''Mutiny on the Bounty''.Alas it was not to be,at first I was devastated but when I saw the Island I realized 1200 people from our Ship wouldn't work and thought of the larger Ships with 2500 people would destroy the Island in one day.About 50% of the Island residents came on board our Ship and I had a wonderful time talking with the and bought some of their ware.I had my picture taken with Jacqui Christian,7th. generation descendant of the Mutineers,lovely Lady.So if you plan to go there,there is no way you can land on the Island,you have to go in by small charter boat from Tahiti which is very expensive or if yo are travelling on a Yacht or some other small vessel.However I came away satisfied and understood the reasons etc.From there we went on to Easter Island and had a lovely time but the 4 days at sea to Lima we could have done without,would have gladly taken a flight from there.cheers folks,keep on travelling,life's to short,time waits for no one!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
131 posts
197 reviews
700 helpful votes
18. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Movin from Vancouver - I'm sorry you chose the wrong ship for your much-wanted landing on Pitcairn. Ships like the one you were on have no chance at all. However the islanders quite like the bigger ships as they keep their island private while they maximise revenue from going aboard themselves. I understand your sadness - I too was mesmerised by the Brando film all those years ago - but you should perhaps have done your research.

Several hundred people a year make successful landings on Pitcairn, as I have done myself. These are people who travel on small expedition cruise ships operated by companies such as Noble-Caledonia, Zegrahm, Hapag-Lloyd, Lindblad Orion and Silver Discoverer. The lucky few, such as myself, also get to land on the other islands in the Pitcairn group, notably the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Henderson Island.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
131 posts
197 reviews
700 helpful votes
19. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

My photos of Pitcairn are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/up70mm/sets/72157624532320859/

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
20. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Great Photos,you're right shoulda done a little more research,got the wrong impression ie large ships surf conditions which I didn't think was that rough that Tenders couldn't make it,I've been in much worse,however I'm glad that 2000 + passengers don't get to land on a regular basis it would destroy everything very quickly,got my Trip,got my Pics,getting up there in years,no time for moping...Cheers! :)

Reply to: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pitcairn Islands
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.