We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Anyone have any information on the number of cruise ships that are scheduled to go ashore on Pitcairn Island that are actually successful at getting ashore? I've booked a very expensive cruise and would cancel if the chances are actually slim to nil. Thanks for any info.

50 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
762 reviews
368 helpful votes
31. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

nobody can guarantee that you get to set foot onto the island but I would still go on the trip. We were relatively lucky and our ship used their zodiacs and very experienced drivers to get us safely ashore under pretty rough conditions. The return was actually more challenging - not only because you need to time the waves right you get out the 'harbor' but also because it's rather difficult to get safely back on board of the ship.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, remember that.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
32. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

We were one of the fortunates to make the dream landing on Pitcairn Island on Christmas Day 2012 (yes the locals gave up their day) as our ship only had about 100 pass plus the expedition staff. Even then it was raining mid-afternoon so had to get back an hour or so earlier before the sea got too rough. It was a memorable day absorbing the history and beauty of the island and even the mayor took us on a quad bike ride to the top with awesome views.

I can confirm that landing is only feasible by zodiacs and what with the tiny population of 50-60 odd. Still one has to have weather and sea conditions on one's side as in our case we missed Henderson because of the rough seas though we did manage to get on Ducie. One of the locals has a web site which does mention that for the bigger ships or over the maximum no. of paxs they go out on their long boats to sell goods and give lectures and even then if the conditions are safe for them to get there and back though they are quite determined and experienced with their long boats.

Castle Donington...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
47 helpful votes
33. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Which mother ship were you on?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
34. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Caledonian Sky (Noble-Caledonia).

Victoria Capital...
1 post
2 reviews
35. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Received this message from Oceania who advised on March 26...... "We would like to advise you of an itinerary update for your upcoming April 4, 2015 voyage aboard Marina. Due to weather we cannot tender into port at Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands as previously designated." How can Oceania predict the weather three weeks in advance of the sailing? It was one of the major features for many of us and in part why I booked the cruise. I do not think that Oceania ever intended to anchor and provide tenders to Pitcairn Island and was probably a come on. I am very disappointed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
131 posts
197 reviews
700 helpful votes
36. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Bob - The Marina can take just over 1200 passengers. Surely you must have realised that a ship that size cannot possibly land passengers on an island with a population of 50, without any facilities whatsoever and without any kind of proper pier or jetty. Expedition cruise ships with a maximum of 200 passengers is the ONLY virtually guaranteed way of getting ashore on Pitcairn.

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
37. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Very slim to nil

1 post
38. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

I am currently doing an investigation into Pitcairn. They sent out a worldwide appeal to repopulate the island and 100's of thousands have watched docs about Pitcairn but only 1 person has relocated there... they charge $500 just to apply for citizenship... imagine how much they make doing that while accepting nobody. The whole island is a scam.

Edited: 6 years ago
Rockhampton...
1 post
39. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

Those wishing to go to Pitcairn should do a little research into the horrid crimes that are rife on the island. Just google Pitcairn trials. You will soon change your mind about visiting.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
1,411 reviews
3,335 helpful votes
40. Re: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Save

hi zebracruiser...Seychelles and Senegal in the same cruise?

Reply to: Cruise Ship landings on Pitcairn Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pitcairn Islands
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.