We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going it alone / Airport Taxis

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Going it alone / Airport Taxis

Hi everyone,

Returning to Sami in September for the fourth time in as many years and can't wait!

This year, we've decided to do away with the tour operator/package holiday and organise our own travel arrangements for the first time.

We've got flights from Gatwick with Norwegian, have booked a nice little studio apartment in Sami through Airbnb and plan on getting to and from the airport via taxis.

I vaguely remember being told that a taxi to/from the airport to Sami is about €50, but this was 2 or so years ago. Is that still about right and is it a fixed rate or does it vary on the taxi company?

We land around midday and I remember there being plenty of taxis outside the airport, but returning, we will need to leave around 9am. Are there plenty of taxis at the rank in Sami at that time in the morning or is it worth pre-booking one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Iain & Emma

4 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,214 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Going it alone / Airport Taxis

Hi Iain,

If you are arriving before 11th September there is a bus from airport to Argostoli then change for one to Sami. Unfortunately the timetable changes 11th September so after then it is not possible. Click on airport in first column. Cost about 7€ per person.

https:/…local-routes-summer

Returning even after 11th September you could get a bus at Sami at 08:15. You would need to check on how long there is to wait in Argostoli and if it enables you to get to airport in time

So far taxi prices have not changed! So 50 -55€. Check with taxi driver first obviously.

If you use taxis when in Sami then if you are happy with one you could arrange with him/her. Failing that there are usually plenty in the main square especially as folks will be arriving in Sami at about 08:00 to get the ferry to Ithaca.

Although there are plenty of taxis at the airport if you want to book a taxi then this one is good and from Sami so you may be able to negotiate a return cost.

Makis Maratos +30 6931 580 953 email makistaxikefalonia@gmail.com

Hope this is some help.

Bob

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Going it alone / Airport Taxis

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. We're there 5th to 12th September. I had wondered about the bus option but didn't know about the bus from the airport to/from Argostoli.

Bus may be worth considering for the return as it looks a lot cheaper, but we'll need a taxi from the airport to Sami as we will have been up over 24 hours by that point as we've got a long journey down to Gatwick from Lowestoft the night before via train, so likely we'll be sleep walking by the time we get there!

Thanks for the helpful reply!

Iain

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,214 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Going it alone / Airport Taxis

I know what you mean Iain,

We too come from Lowestoft. We are flying with easyJet the day you return! For various reasons we drive down the night before and stay at the Premier Inn. However I am grabbing an extra week starting Tuesday and as it is just me I will be taking the (four!) trains.

We do rent a car for the whole fortnight so only use taxis if we want to go to Sami or Poulata for an evening meal and want a few drinks.

Have (another) great holiday.

Bob

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Going it alone / Airport Taxis

Who would have thought Trip Adviser was such a small world!

Only trains, planes and taxis for us as neither of us drive.

You have a great holiday too.

Iain & Emma

Reply to: Going it alone / Airport Taxis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sami
Recent Conversations