We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Dear All

We, a group of 4 people, plan to stay in Kanazawa for two nights in mid May 2017 and plan to do a day trip from Kanazawa to see the world heritage village in Shirakawago. Can you please advise if we should take a day tour? or could we go there by using public transport? Please help. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Claire

21 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,928 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

You can do this on your own. Allow roughly 1/2 day.

All buses from Kanazawa to Shirakawago require a reservation.

https:/…shirakawago.pdf

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Thank you SammyF1oyd. I checked the Nohi bus and it doesn't run at weekends and we will be in Kanazawa on 20 and 22 May! Do you know another bus services? Thank you.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,824 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

You've read the timetable wrong. Buses operate on weekdays as well. The only one that runs on weekends only is the bus with a red ◆ mark on top.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Thanks for your reply, Shibuyakko.

I read the Nohi bus timetables again and only buses with red diamond signs won't run at weekends, most of them are for evening trips. I think we will have no trouble taking the bus trip from Kanazawa to see the heritage village.

Please advise if it is easy to walk to the village from the Shirakawago bus station?

Thank you

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

The walk is uphill (either steps or a ramp) and then a bridge across the river with a little more uphill following that. It is something that an average person shouldn't find difficult.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,928 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

The main village itself is basically flat except for the bridge described by Selsy. There is a lookout point up a hill, giving you a fantastic view of the entire village. Unless you fancy walking 30 minutes up, take the shuttle going up there. Get a map from the tourist info center so you know where to board the bus.

Again, every bus from Kanazawa to Shirakawago requires a reservation. Book on the website (if you will be paying for your tickets) or call (if you will be using a pass) a few weeks before going. Buses do fill up.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Definitely reserve the bus in advance. I don't recall there being any empty seats when I went from Kanazawa to Shirakawago in November.

The Gassho-zukuri Minkaen (open-air musuem) requires a nominal admission fee but is worthwhile and gets you away from the areas which are most crowded with tourists.

No need for a tour; everything is a short walk from the bus stop.

Edited: 15 February 2017, 11:54
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Dear All

Thanks a lot for your replies, which are very useful.

Greatly appreciate your help.

kind regards

Claire

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Thanks again SammyF1oyd, Selsy, Shibuyakko and 415 bargainhunter, We will definitely book the bus tickets and get the maps at the tourist office so that we know where to get on the bus to go back to Kanazawa.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago

Hi! I'm looking for a bus tour that will take us around with a guide as well. The one I can find is J-hopper bus tour from Takayama. The rest of the tours I can find with local guide are super expensive. Help!

Reply to: Day trip from Kanazawa to Shirakawago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted