We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Highlights

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
3 reviews
Trip Highlights

Just returned from a 3 day visit to Mt Desert Island / Acadia NP. Stayed in a VRBO near Northeast Harbor which was a good location for us.

Top highlights:

Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden - it really is amazing. If open when you are there it is definitely worth making a reservation to visit the garden.

Acadia Lobster Cruise - out of Northeast Harbor with Capt Jason. Learned a great deal about fishing for Lobsters as we went out and pulled up his traps. Then after a short cruise around the area we stopped for a delicious lobster meal cooked right on the boat. A great experience.

We did the Ocean Path - Gorham Mountain loop the first night. We took the Cadillac Cliffs option on the Gorham Mountain path which made it a little more challenging than I thought it would be - but not too bad.

Next day we did the Jordan Pond loop with a diversion up the South Bubble to Bubble Rock. We went around to go up the north side to make the hike easier and going that way it was not too bad at all. But the Bubbles Divide trail back down to Jordan Pond toward the west is not really a trail - more of a climb down from rock to rock - that part was harder than expected, but distance is not long so not really that bad.

Also did the Ship Harbor Trail near SW Harbor which was very easy. Best part of that was the area at the ocean - we were there around low tide so were able to look at some tide pools there and found an unusual jellyfish.

Went up to top of Cadillac Mountain for the sunrise which was worth the effort to get up early.

In addition to eating on Jason's boat we have very good evening meals at the Side Street Cafe in Bar Harbor (waiter there - Tyler - was a lot of fun) and Asticou Inn in NE Harbor.

Overall a very good time on our first visit to Maine. I have to say that Acadia NP did not have the same "wow" factor as our trips to Yosemite NP and Grand Canyon NP the last two years - but those are tough to match and Mt Desert Island is certainly a beautiful place.

5 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Trip Highlights

Thanks for writing a trip report. I'm glad you had a good time. It certainly is true that the Western National Parks have more drama with the majestic Rocky Mountains. But I think of Acadia as much more user-friendly. And then there is the ocean. I love the ocean.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Trip Highlights

Thank you for your report! It is always nice to hear how peoples' trips went. Having been to quite a few national parks, I think they all have something special to offer.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
342 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Trip Highlights

Enjoyed reading your report. We are really looking forward to our return visit to the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Gardens. I have great memories of the National Parks out west but agree that it is the combination of the ocean and the mountains that makes ANP the most magical place ever!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
226 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Trip Highlights

Thank you for your trip report. I'm working on our itinerary for October and reports like yours really help a lot! I've just sent an email to Capt. Jason to see about booking a Lobster cruise. Cheers!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
105 posts
85 reviews
5. Re: Trip Highlights

Glad the Lobster Cruise and hikes worked out!

Reply to: Trip Highlights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Desert Island