We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

London
Level Contributor
76 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

We are staying in Remedios but would like to do a day trip to the beach at Cayo Santa Maria.

As we will not have a car, can anyone suggest the best way to travel there and back?

Mentioned in this post
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,443 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

There is only one way to get there is by taxi, it will be about 60-80 cucs return.

It will also cost a days pass to the hotel as beaches are hotels on the cayo.

Best place for you to go is the public beaches at the seaside of Caibarien. They Cubans like their beach there, always a crowed there. There are several hotels where the Cubans eat and stay so would be a good vibe there.

My opinion.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
76 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

Thanks for the information. We managed to get a taxi and share the cost with another couple. Total cost to me of 20CUC.

We went to the public beach which was free. It was very beautiful and almost deserted.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,443 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

Fantastic news. It does pay to travel with another couple or group if hiring taxis.

Good to hear you found a part of the beach that you could use.

Park City, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

How long of a trip is it from Remedios to Santa Maria? I am looking for a great place to stay with the kids but would like to check out Remedios on Christmas eve but most likely not stay there unless you had a great suggestion of a wonderful place

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
London
Level Contributor
76 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

It took in the region of 40-50 minutes. We stayed at the Hostal Casa Richard which was a very comfortable Casa Particular. We shared a taxi with another couple and shared the 40 CUC taxi fare return journey.

If I remember there was one hotel but I believe Casa's are a better alternative.

Remedios is very famous for its fireworks display at Christmas and that should be taken into consideration. It is a small town and accommodation may be at a premium around Xmas time.

It was a very sweet little town and is well worth the visit.

Mentioned in this post
Hostal Casa Richard
Hostal Casa Richard
317 Reviews
Cuba
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,443 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

If you got the taxi to Remedios for 40 cucs that is exceptionally low.

The taxi is 60 to Caibarien and 70 to Remedios.

Please don't think the 40 cucs is the norm.

Yes it is 30 to 40 mins to Remedios.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

mjlevinthal: Our family (4 of us, all adults) are arriving in Cayo Santa Maria Dec 23rd and were thinking of visiting Remedios Dec. 24th. I contacted Nolitours, Gaviota and the Melia Las Dunas and no one offers a 'night time' excursion (more like 8:30 am to 3:30pm +/-).

However 70cuc for a taxi of 4 seems reasonable to enjoy the evening and do something different on Christmas Eve. I just have to convince the rest of the family. I viewed the videos on Youtube and it looked like so much fun.

8. Re: Travel from Remedios to Cayo Santa Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 13:41
Get answers to your questions about Remedios