We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Remedios worth visiting?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Remedios worth visiting?

Staying at a resort nearby for a week, is it worth it to rent a car and visit this town? What is there to do there?

11 replies to this topic
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,235 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

It is very much worth a visit.

It may work out cheaper to get a taxi .

The church with gold alter is a must.

The town itself is small but worth a visit to watch the musicians and Spend time wandering around.

Eating in the palador and just spending time there.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

I really enjoy Remidios. It's got a great small-town vibe about it and I enjoy sitting in the sun in the charming town square, just soaking it up and watching the everyday routines of life unfold. Very relaxing.

Fun fact. This peaceful oasis was once at the heart of the very real and immediate possibility of a hellish nuclear war. One of the active soviet nuclear sites that precipitated the missile crisis is just outside of town...an interesting perspective to hold while lolling and enjoying a cool beer in the drowsy sun of a Remedios midday.

Cheers,

Bruce

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
18,600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

I never made it to Remedios - the closest was with my family on a day trip from Cayo Coco. We reached the sugar / railway museum which is between Caibarien and Remedios. We liked that.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

There used to be a great excursion to Santa Clara out of Cayo Santa Maria, that included a ride on the steam train from that old sugar refinery to Remidios. Besides the fun of riding a steam train, it was also interesting because you passed by everyone's BACK yards. :)

Bruce

JR2
Ontario
Level Contributor
610 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

We took that Santa Clara tour a few years back. It was well worth the money. We enjoyed it so much that if available we plan on taking it again the week of Nov. 14th.

The old sugar factory is where they restore the old steam engines.

After a short visit and photo op you board the train to Remedios.

Visit the main square and church in Remedios.

Visit a cigar factory.

Lunch

Che mausoleum and museum.

Battle of Santa Clara rebellion.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

Thanks everyone! Great advice.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

#5. Yes that's the one I took. A wonderful day!

Bruce

Canada
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

We also did that tour a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. The one thing that bugs me about the bus tours is they never give you enough free time. Would love to grab a beer or two, relax and people watch. I'm a history buff and while I loved the visit to the Che mausoleum it still felt a bit rushed.

Would like to do the whole thing again on our next visit but hire my own car/driver for the day.

JR2
Ontario
Level Contributor
610 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

I guess we had a good bus driver. The whole tour we were given plenty of time at each stop. Did not feel rushed at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Remedios worth visiting?

Remedios is an untouched piece of old Cuba. So evocative you can feel you are 100 years away. It seems to be on the way to nowhere. At night there are few street lights in the Square which really adds to the atmosphere.

Life here seems old fashioned and relaxed. Men on Bicycles, someone selling home made peanut brittle

( how old fashioned is that?). Even home made ice cream from a freezer in someone's living room.

I doubt there much to do as such except take it in.

I came with Cubans while driving through Cuba so cant remember if it is difficult to get to.

I would not bother with the Tourist beaches as it is too far to go just to see another beach - and in Cuba Resort hotels control most good beaches. If staying in a Resort Hotel then absolutely come to Remedios and consider staying overnight. In Cuba everything happens after dark -and its cooler also!

Reply to: Is Remedios worth visiting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Remedios