We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

Lisbon
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

I will be doing a family trip in the first week of September, staying at Iberostar hotel. Does anyone know if they have additional services for short trips or tours to points of interest nearby? I am taking my 7 year old, so can't go too far. No long bus drives!

As we enjoy lounging on the beach or poolside we do also like to experience local cultural. Besides the trip to the Medina in Oudja, I haven't been able to find much online...

Can anyone give me a few suggestions/tips?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

I doubt you will get much info here as the Saidia part of the forum is not very active, in fact I think there has only been one other thread this year!

Only 2 attractions are listed under 'Things To Do', worth having a read of the little info there is though: tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g944611-Activi…

There are at least plenty of reviews of your hotel so you might get some tips by reading through those.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

I'm sad to say Saidia has been a bit of a white elephant, not helped that large corporations that purchased many of the properties have installed their own management companies at the disadvantage of individual purchasers.

Whilst the Algerian border remains closed, there's nowhere to go heading east or north (Mediterranean). The mountains to the south are pretty in places. And Al Hoceima to the west is an easy going town that I like. It's some distance away but you could even explore the Penon de Velez and the world's shortest international land border, see posts #2 to #4 at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,366 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

If you go to visit Ouajda, you can go and see one new mosque - www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

It is one of the biggest mosque in Morocco and even if I was not there so I cannot say nothing about. But I believe it is nice and imposing.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

Thank you for all your replies. I will follow your suggestions :)

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get some feedback about trips suggested at the resorts.

I love to go around exploring but maybe this time I will have to settle for something a bit more touristy because of my boy.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

If you have the time then do try and add any attractions or restaurants to the listing on here as there is very little at the moment for Saidia

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

Yes, although I've been rather negative based on a couple of flying visits, if there's anything worth doing, seeing, eating, whatever, please let us know.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

I am still a month and a half away but yes, I will be sure to add more information as I myself enjoy doing some research before getting to my destination.

Should have thought about it before buying my vacation, but the price way too tempting :)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

I’ve past through the area a few times and must agree with the others. I can’t actually think of anything to do at all, touristy or not, as the area is still undeveloped (thank the lord) apart from this “unusually” located development in Saidia. This part of the Med coast has been isolated for years and Saidia is new and unusual for this area of Morocco. Very little tourist orientated stuff is around here (personally I find this a good thing) with the Oujda and the Beni Snassen national park the only places of real interest, though I found Beni Snassen quite dispointing as it just doesn’t compare really to other areas of Morocco. I find Oujda particularly interesting as it’s a fairly big Uni town that is practically untouched by tourism. This makes it virtually tout free, unlike the other major tourist towns, but it also means it’s lacking in many (if any) restaurants and attractions as these only really exist for tourists. Last time I was in Oujda there were no restaurants at all. It’s a really cool town and I loved it, but mainly due to the total lack of anything tourist orientated!

My best advice for stuff to do is hire a car and explore some of the only undeveloped coast left in the Med. Head towards Chefchaouen, a day or two drive to the west, where there is loads to do and stay the night in the stunning but more tourist friendly town, and on the way back take in the very untouristy places like Al Hoceima, the Spanish enclave of Melilla and the isolated beaches, which don’t have anything for tourists apart from a taste of real Morocco (no bars, no beach activates, no jet skis, just a few fishing boats and a cafe if you extremely lucky). There is nothing else to see in the Saidia area due to its isolated location and proximity to the slightly lively Algerian boarder.

If you don’t want to go on any long bus/car rides then you are going to be extremely limited for options. I’d have a rethink and maybe consider hiring a car, otherwise you’re going to be stuck in Saidia with little to do. Your 7 year old will be fine for a few hours in a car.

Heads up.....if you do decide to take a trip up in to the hills, the Rif is the major hash growing region of the world and as such you may see fields of the green stuff towards the west, as well as folk possibly offering it to you as you drive along. This business activity is the major reason for the areas lack of development and investment and is still very much active as a local business activity. If you don’t want your kid to see fields of hash plants then avoid driving up in to the hills to the west of Saidia....though it should have been harvested by then.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,366 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

I am sure you can find places around which can be of interest anyway and it can be nice with not so many tourists around. The Penon de Velez and around the coast there is must be nice. I was looking at some pictures of there and it seems good. So I am sure you will find it nice your stay there.

10. Re: Tours/trips recommended while in Saidia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Saidia
Recent Conversations