We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach in Morocco?

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach in Morocco?

Hi Tim,

My husband and I are making our first trip to Morocco this late July (yes, I know it's going to be hot:). I have been reading a lot about Morocco, but have been having difficulty deciding on a beach. We will be in Marrakech, then drive to the Atlas Mountains for a couple of days, followed by a couple of days at Erg Chebbi. From Erg Chebbi we were planning to drive north to Al Hoceima for 4-5 lazy beach days, and then end with a stop in Chefchaoun,

I wanted to head north because I am drawn to the Mediterranean due to its warmth (as opposed to the chilly Atlantic from which I live an hour away in the States). However, I can't seem to settle on a sleepy beach town. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. I have really appreciate the advice you have given others on Trip Advisor.

Sincerely,

Gretchen

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Al Hoceima is an awful long way from the sand dunes, but I guess you get to combine it with Chefchaouen. You can see some photos and write up on posts #3 and 4 at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

I didn't particularly like the town beach but there's beaches to the east and west. The western beaches in the national park are secluded.

Two alternatives would be Larache and Asilah on the Atlantic coast. I don't perceive the Atlantic as any cooler, but in any case cool is good under Morocco's July sun. See http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm for photos and write up.

My preference to combine with Chefchaouen would be Larache with the added interest of the roman ruins of Lixus nearby. More photos: http://mail.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/239397-Lixus-Roman-ruins-necropolis-(graveyard)-and-a-familiar-plant

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Thank you Tim for this info. I thought the drive form Merzouga to Al Hoceima was about 9 hours....that would provide us the chance to see more of the country and Chefchaoen. We are planning on driving from the dunes to some beach, so either way it would be a long drive way. The other thought was to stay in the southern portion of morocco...I also considered the Mirleft area for a beach.

Should we skip the dunes all together? I was planning on staying in a hotel with a pool and a view of the dunes. I'd love to spend the night in the desert but many people have said it's just too hot that time of year.

I will check out the Larache area. Any additional thoughts you can provide would be appreciated. I just started using TA this year and am finding it very helpful.

Sincerely,

Gretchen

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

dont miss the dunes, but it is too far to go straight from there to a beach - stop in Fes, then Chefchaouen and the nearest beaches to there are around Cabo Negro/Tetouan. Or a bit further is Asilah/Larache as Tim mentions

Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Hi, Gretchen.

I highly recommend visiting the Erg Chebbi dunes, too. My first visit was in late July 2013. Definitely hot, but not unbearable. It can actually get chilly when the sun goes down. If you haven't booked a hotel, you may want to look at Hotel Yasmina in Merzouga. I stayed there in 2013 and rang in 2014 there as well. Breathtaking views of the dunes from the patio, and a nice pool. Happy travels!

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Thank you, Chocolate Cake. I figured if I am visiting Marakessh I could handle the dunes. If we were to self drive, how long would it take to get to Erg Chebbi and back?I've read anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. I'm trying to decide between Erg Chebbi and a stay in the Atlas Mountains essentially. We will start in Marakessh and end in the Mirleft area..it's just do I visit the dunes or the mountains within a five day time period? We have 15 days in Morocco. Thanks, and I look forward to your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Gretchen

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Budget for 12hrs from Marrakech to Erg Chebbi - plan at least 4 days for the roundtrip, ideally 5

You can easily do Marrakech/Atlas/Sand dunes/beach in 15 days

Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Honestly, I'm not the best person to answer that question because I've not driven directly from Marrakesh to Merzouga before. I've gone from Ouarzazate to Marrakesh via car and bus, which is 5 to 6 hour drive through the Atlas Mountains. And, I've driven from Ouarzazate to Merzouga, about an 8 hour drive, with a couple of stops. If you're pressed for time, you may want to do some hiking and visit some Berber villages in the Atlas Mountains, which are beautiful, and save the dunes for another trip.

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Thank you, Nibrika. I keep wondering about the time because I like to spend multiple nights in a place, so that I can unwind and get a sense of the place. I know I have to spend some single nights here and there, but I prefer to keep that to a minimum. I appreciate your help.

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Thank you, Chocolate Cake. I keep being drawn to the dunes because I've seen the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, and the mountains of Turkey, the Grand Canyon, etc., but I've never seen expansive sand dunes (although I've been in many a desert in the U.S.--but they--like much of the Sahara are made up of arid, rocky topography. I appreciate the advice!

Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beach in Morocco?

Hope you have a great trip, Gretchen! :)

Get answers to your questions about Saidia
Recent Conversations