Irene W wrote a review Nov 2022
7 contributions7 helpful votes
We’ve just returned from the above 17 night Cruise, it was our first cruise and we can honestly say we would never cruise with Tui again! We paid for a deluxe balcony cabin on deck 7, all inclusive. Wasn’t cheap but felt cheap! It was Benidorm at sea, those people who tell you it is good must have really low standards!
Cabins were so dated, food was same and tasteless (who goes on an all inclusive for 17 nights and comes back having lost weight???) staff at reception were useless and really unable to answer basic questions.
We couldn’t get a sun lounger for love nor money on any of the days! Same people reserved them daily!
Drinks on tap were flat most days.
Entertainment was good and house keeping staff were amazing. The two chargeable restaurants were good, but that was it!
The biggest disappointment was in Jamaica when we disembarked the ship! Communication was really poor, we were left in a queue for immigration for an hour and a half in 31 degrees midday sun. Only two people at immigration desks working! It was so hot and in the terminal they only had 3 fans on, I asked them to switch on the other fans as we were melting but my request fell on deaf ears. At no point did any of the Tui staff come to sort out the issue. When we were leaving the ship everyone was piling on into the exit area, stairways were full, lifts were coming down full with nowhere to get out! It was total disaster waiting to happen. I told the officer working there that if there was a fire we would all die and he just looked at me!
I had high hopes for this cruise but was really let down. People need to write honest reviews or not write them at all, as I wouldn’t have wasted my hard earned money had a read some honest reviews from people with good standards.
I’ve attached a video of the immigration queue, although you only see the queue outside the terminal, there was long queue inside the ship and also inside the terminal building. Immigration staff were slow and rude.
Sail Date: November 2022
Cabin Type: Balcony
Type of Trip: Friends
Destination: Caribbean
5 Helpful votes
Scroll below for other great reviews

Marella Discovery 2

Passengers to crew: 2.38:1
Launched: 1996

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 139 - 172 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 54
  • 27
Selected filters
  • Filter
  • English
Lucy b wrote a review Today
1 contribution
First time on a cruise and we had the best time. Food & drinks were brilliant. Staff were lovely & friendly Entertainment was good especially the evening shows. All destinations we went to were lovely. Definitely book again with this cruise line x
John G wrote a review Jan 2023
Durham18 contributions33 helpful votes
My wife and I were first time cruisers so have no benchmark to compare the Marella Cruise 'Flavours of the Caribbean'. We enjoyed the experience but are unlikely to take another cruise. Mainly for the following reasons: a) Although the ship was large, facilities and entertainment excellent and all staff helpful, friendly and efficient, we still felt a little confined, looking at the Caribbean but unable to swim or enjoy the palm fringed beaches which we would have available in an hotel. b) We understand that there are circumstances where the itinerary may have to be changed, but we were told many weeks prior to the sailing date that the trip to Grand Cayman would not take place as the port was too busy on that day and that a visit to Ocho Rios would be included in its place. c) However, the visit to Ocho Rios turned out to be only a few hours on the morning of the first day, leaving no time to take any excursions, e.g. Dunns River Falls. Presumably this was due to the delayed arrival of our flight from UK. d) In addition, on boarding we were told that the visit to Mexico would not occur due to a problem with the ship being unable to manoeuvre in a small harbour. We were advised that this would now be replaced by a visit to Grand Cayman! We appreciate that this was arranged for a different day to the original date for the Grand Cayman visit. e) Because of high winds, the ship had to stay in Havana Port overnight instead of leaving in the afternoon, consequently arriving at Grand Cayman much later and thus shortening the visit. This meant that instead of the 3 excursions originally included in the itinerary, there was only one (the Havana visit) that was as advertised - and of the remaining two, Cozumel was totally cancelled and substituted by a few hours in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman was cut short. Obviously not the cruise we had anticipated enjoying. To date, we have not been offered any discount for the loss of the Cozumel visit and its unsatisfactory replacement or for the shortened visit to Grand Cayman.
Denise R wrote a review Jan 2023
Dukinfield, United Kingdom15 contributions4 helpful votes
The boarding experience was long after a delay on the flight but once aboard that was well organised. We had a deluxe cabin which I’m glad about due to the size of the others and there was plenty of storage space. I met FALTON, our cabin worker on the 1st night and he was fantastic from the beginning . He remembered our names, he was there whenever we needed him, he put birthday banners and balloons in the room for my husband after seeing a card. He was extremely polite, friendly, attentive and good st his work the whole week. I was slightly disappointed with some of the food as I did expect 5 star but on some occasions it was just ok. The surf and turf restaurant was amazing though ( you have to pay 3xtra for that). I paid for extra drinks package but not sure it was worth it for us. It was also frustrating that no 2 drinks were the same, 1 night the cocktail was nice, the next it was awful! There was plenty to do throughout the days at sea, so much so that it was very loud with quizzes, shows, music bands etc that it was hard to read a book if you also wanted sunshine. I think we prefer land holidays but will probably do another cruise depending on where it’s going as some of the places we went to weren’t great. Friends we were with went on Marella 3 years ago and commented that the service and food wasn’t as good as it was when they travelled last time.
Helen P wrote a review Jan 2023
Swindon10 contributions7 helpful votes
We had planned and booked our cruise eleven months ago . The night before our departure while at the airport we were informed our cruise destination had completely changed. No option but to accept £200 pp compensation but devastated.The entertainment team did their best but every thing about the cruise was ruined. Not what we had booked at all. Will NOT be cruising with TUI again.
Stephen M wrote a review Jan 2023
Amman2 contributions11 helpful votes
We booked a TUI for the selection of destinations and not as a traditional Caribbean cruise. However, the ship has a technical problem, making it not so manoeuvrable during windy conditions, which has been apparently broken since last year. We were only informed that our original planned itinerary was changed whilst onboard and only offered a £200 pp goodwill gesture on a holiday that cost nearly £6000. However, looking at past reviews, this was the same experience for other travellers. Therefore why are passengers not informed in advance as I would have cancelled this cruise? I cannot express our disappointment on this overrated TUI cruise, especially when we specifically booked expecting to visit Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala and Belize and not to spend most of the time in Cuba and Jamaica. I advise anyone looking for a cruise to select a more reliable and honest cruise line. This has put me off selecting TUI for any holiday destination in the future.
1 Helpful vote