“Another LCC Extortion Airline”
Review of Peach Aviation

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Just like Vanilla Air, this airline will extort money from you in fees. This helps them make the money back from lower fare costs. We paid for a 20kg limit checked bag included with our ticket. We had to pay nearly 2800 yen for our checked bag being 1.8kg over that limit. This was literally the cost of an entirely new overweight checked bag. Rather than charge us a certain rate like 500 yen per 1kg over or something. The staff was also unhelpful, didn't explain anything, and English was bad. Screw this airline and the rest of these Japanese LCCs. They all charge ridiculous fees to make up for their "cheap" airfares.

• In-flight Entertainment
2  Thank Kevin S

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Just a reminder to all who might book this airline. Do not do it! This airline will ruin your vacation. They cancel if they don't fill the flights and leave you stranded. This is a terrible way to do business and to treat people. AND refunds take months. Save your money and grief and book on a different airline.

We were stranded!

6  Thank Toniulee
Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

Internationals do not book this airline. This airline is cheap and too good to be true. They canceled our flight and left us stranded on Okinawa, no concerns for us, had to book 3 times the price on a better airline and pay high prices for unexpected hotel costs. The rest of our vacation was ruined because of this airline. Do not book this airline.

1  Thank Toniulee
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Check in staff couldn't locate reservation even given my passport. Had to show reservation number.

No complimentary water or snacks

Very loud and obnoxious children behind me constantly screaming and knocking my seat. Cabin crew refused to allow me to move to another seat that was free.

Very narrow seat pitch .

Most unpleasant flight I have had in years.

Crew and staff did not speak good English.

Only good thing was the price.

• In-flight Entertainment
1  Thank jargafan
Reviewed 15 March 2017

I flew Peach the first time in March 2017 from Hong Kong to Kansai Airport (return). The only add-on was a check-in bag of 20kg for the return leg. The total amount paid was about USD296.

I chose Peach because of the timing of the flights. It departed HK at 1.30 am, and flew from Kansai at 8.20 am.

I had read various reviews of Peach before flying and had some trepidations. However, my concerns turned out to be unfounded. I think the gripes stemmed from comparing Peach, which is a low-cost carrier, with a full-fledged airline. That's not comparing apple with apple. A fairer comparison will be with other LCCs. I fly frequently with other LCCs such as Air Asia, Tiger Airways and Jetstar, and I do not find Peach any inferior to any of them.

Prior to the flight, I did a few practical things. I went to Peach website and familarised myself with its rules regarding check-in and baggage. Unlike the other LCCs which I had taken, Peach was particular about the weight of the carry-on (10 kg) and the check-in bags. They actually weighed the carry-on bag (well, at least at HK airport). Special items e.g. sports equipment, have to be checked in and this was stated clearly in the website. Peach's website (the PC version) also contained daily tweets regarding its flights, particularly whether there would be any delays or changes. This was particularly useful, and was unique to Peach. Since Peach clearly stated that it was not responsible for transfers, when I booked the return leg to HK, I made sure that there was sufficient time for me to collect my bags, clear immigration and customs, exit the airport, and check in again for my next connecting flight.

At HK airport, checking in was at the regular counter. At Kansai Terminal 2, all passengers had to use the self-check in kiosks which were plentiful. The process was easy and hardly took more than 2 minutes. On finishing, we then joined a regular queue for checking in the bag. Throughout, I thought the process was efficient.

During the flight, the seats were comfortable. I was assigned an aisle seat on the outbound flight, and a middle seat on the inward leg, but I did not find it cramped. The attendants were generally courteous and helpful. Anoucements were made in Japanese, English and Cantonese.

At Kansai Airport, boarding and alighting required a short walk on the tarmac. At HK airport, we had use of aerobridge.

Disappointments are misalignment between expectations and reality. I knew what was in it for me on Peach, a LCC, and I was accordingly not disappointed. And yes, I would take Peach again.

• Check-in and boarding
2  Thank Jack_CCC
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.